Labor - good news for pensioners?

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Labor - good news for pensioners?

Post by kfchugo » 15 Mar 2019, 10:54

Heading toward the next Federal election, it is becoming increasingly likely that Labor will snatch victory from the Libs (and probably deservedly so). Labor has touted interesting policies like increasing the minimum wage. One would think that this largess might also flow onto pensioners who have been steadily falling behind with each review over recent years. Pension increases have not nearly kept pace with rising living costs so reducing living standards for pensioners.
Of course, it may just be election hype with no real substance. I am continually amazed that we Australians dont make a concerted effort to change the law to remove the exemption politicians and political parties enjoy from "Truth in advertising" laws - we have effectively consented to them lying to us. :yeah_right

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Re: Labor - good news for pensioners?

Post by Buck_naked » 19 Mar 2019, 23:37

pensioners live like kings, -payrise twice a year.
show me any worker who gets that. :character-oldtimer:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 20 Mar 2019, 00:09

Buck, it is better than it used to be, yes!
However, the amounts are so small that it covers just one more 'all-day-sucker' each week.
There is no way that pensioners can keep up with the cost of living if there is no increase in the pensions soon.

The economy is buckling ;-) because people are not spending much money.
Pensioners are usually the fastest spenders but they haven't got enough to make much of a difference just now.

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 20 Mar 2019, 07:41

Raising the age pension would help the economy, just as raising wages would.

I'm concerned that the government is talking of tax cuts in the April budget. These will have to be paid for at a time when the economy is slowing to a crawl. Services and programs for the less well-off will be cut to compensate for the loss of revenue.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 20 Mar 2019, 18:18

I would think that the majority of pensioners dont pay tax, so there is not much to be gained from tax relief by we seniors