Suggestions welcome

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Suggestions welcome

Post by Dreamweaver » 31 Jul 2006, 18:36

Sitting at home, bored, past helping yourself or anyone else? Too frail now? My friend who needs showering assistance and so on, volunteers as a phone friend, phoning each day a number of isolated elderly people to see if they're okay, although she is older than some of them! Another, in her 90s and in a wheel chair, took herself along all the footpaths in her suburb noting the state of wheel chair access to business premises, and reporting to the council.

Older volunteers fill gaps that are left by the government and by employers, and also many organizations could not function without their expertise. In many developing regions, older people are important both in households and at the community level, and are looked up to for decisions, counselling, and wisdom. Modern society seems to have forgotten this, valueing only youth and high technology. Older people are stereotyped as unproductive, dependent and in a decline, which is a myth. Older persons today are active, healthy, and independent for many more years than at any time before.

Volunteering helps people retain self-respect and a sense of purpose, and contributes to healthy life styles and independence. They live longer, age more slowly, are in better health, and are more educated than ever. It also helps society to be cohesive and respectful towards the human dimension and the last period of life, including death In many cases too, people who are able to help others can expect favourable consideration if and when they find themselves in need of support.

Four to five generations are now alive at the same time, with two at retirement age, which has never happened before, and which opens up the volunteering field further. But because of the perception of older people as passive receivers of assistance rather than solvers of their own and community problems, resources are not channelled to initiatives suggested or run by them.

It would be good to add to the list of usefulnesses for the spread of people in their 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Suggestions welcome!
I dream, therefore I am.

sigun

Post by sigun » 01 Aug 2006, 13:02

I concur entirely!
The elderly are still very useful and have shown it over and over again, without too much of recognition from anyone.
At our golf club we have an 86 year old lady (a previously active golfer) now totally unable to do anything too strenuous due to arthritis, but she comes in every match day at 5.30am. She does the pairings, starting times, records and prize presentations. A wonderful volunteer, a beautiful person! =D> =D> =D>

One of our greenkeepers is 80+ and still drives the mover from time to time on a voluntary basis. It's just so refreshing to see such people enjoying some activities. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Merri

Post by Merri » 05 Aug 2006, 10:52

Taking books from the library to people confined at home - stopping for a chat.
Driving people to medical appointments
Sharing what you know with others at U3A - any and all sorts of knowledge.
Helping out at op shops.
Visiting at hostels or people confined to home - social support programs
Being there for your own family.
Being there for friends.
Selling raffle tickets

Local councils and health services usually have something needing a volunteer. Of course what we do at 60 and at 90 will be quite different.

Merri

Post by Merri » 19 Dec 2006, 22:09

Senior Citz club near me have a choir going around singing Christmas carols in the street at night! =D> =D> =D> Competition for the tele!