Are You Having Trouble Concentrating

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Are You Having Trouble Concentrating

Post by hawkeye » 10 Sep 2010, 21:27

There's an article in the The Age, 'How The Internet Makes Us Stupid' that's interesting. Nicholas Carr has written a book as a result of his research and personal experience. At the very least, it's something to think about.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/tec ... netimes_ft

Maggs
Diamond Member

Re: Are You Having Trouble Concentrating

Post by Maggs » 11 Sep 2010, 10:21

I have to agree with that, Hawkeye! Reading long screeds from the screen does not gel with my brain, so if I think it is likely to be really interesting I print the page and have a good read later.....that way I get to absorb it slowly instead of skipping what appears to be prosaic waffle. Thnanks for the link.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 11 Sep 2010, 11:54

Never with a good Book! :lol: Heard on ABC news yesterday,Vit B ,didn't state which one(or perhaps I wasn't concemtrating!)
is supposed to help the elderly with memory loss.

Caitlin

Post by Caitlin » 11 Sep 2010, 12:00

Lol....Sometimes I do..then again I say its because I have that many tasks to do...lol..well thats what I tell my younger sister with a wink or two as I say it.
Plus I am one of those who writes a note for shopping then swap jackets and forget the notes in my other coat pocket...phew!! anyone else do things like that lol..Caitlin

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Sep 2010, 17:16

Son lives in town 20 miles away, visits here, goes home without house keys.

"Don't worry," say I. "I'm about to go in to town myself. I'll bring them."

I drive in, fish in my bag.

No!

I've left them behind!
I dream, therefore I am.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 12 Sep 2010, 09:45

I want to know where the veil comes from that falls across my brain as I go to fetch something from another room....by the time I get there I have totally forgotten why I am there and who the heck sent me on a wild goose chase!

Let's be serious for one minute and ponder the question:- Does living alone and talking to oneself most of the time have any bearing on temporary memory loss?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 12 Sep 2010, 15:30

Not if you answer yourself. :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 12 Sep 2010, 16:40

I don't even talk to myself. The cat cops the lot, and yes, he does answer in his feline way!

Maggs, just tell yourself that it is your subconscious mind giving you some exercise! :lol: :lol: :lol: I do it all the time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 12 Sep 2010, 19:56

I'd be a liar if I would say that I don't suffer from the same problem, but I just can't remember which problem it is!

Yes, I also read that Vitamin B will stop shrinkage of our brains.
So, I am now eating Vegemite by the spoonful!

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 12 Sep 2010, 21:28

There is lots of Vitamin B in beer too! As well as Vit B in beer, you should be aware of this research:

Yesterday scientists for Health Canada suggested that, considering the results of a recent analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer, men should take a look at their beer consumption. The theory is that drinking beer makes men turn into women. To test the theory, 100 men were fed six (6) pints of beer each within a one hour period. It was then observed that 100% of the men gained weight, talked excessively without making sense, became overly emotional, couldn't reverse park, failed to think rationally, argued over nothing, and refused to apologize when wrong.

No further testing is planned.
:text-imsorry:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 13 Sep 2010, 02:34

That's convincing enough for me. Absolutely. And after some consideration, I've decided to reduce my beer consumption. I bought a six pack back in July and I drank the last bottle last week. That's about a bottle and a half a week. I'm going to try to reduce my consumption to one six pack for an entire summer. Thanks for thee heads up on all this research.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 13 Sep 2010, 07:18

Actually,I think the Vitamen B to which the comment (ABC Radio)referred could have been Vit B12 (once my mind reappeared from it's walkabout!)as it's believed many elderly people become deficient in this particular Vitamen,people having diagnosed with Alzheimers,when the problem was a Vit.,B12 deficiency.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 13 Sep 2010, 09:47

My Doc has prescribed a Vit B12 injection every three months for me.....I'd like to know if that is adequate, or should I supplement that with my usual daily Berocca.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 13 Sep 2010, 12:12

They say that B6, B12 and folic acid are recommended to maybe help lessen brain shrinkage. Some medications affect B vitamin absorption it seems.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 13 Sep 2010, 14:19

I get a Vitamin B12 injection every month. If I don't get it my sleep patterns go haywire, up all night, and sleeping and dozing all day, can't even stay awake long enough to watch the news! It drives me absolutely crazy! But its wonderful with the injection. I sleep well and can stay awake all day long! Just brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol: