Are You Having Trouble Concentrating

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Are You Having Trouble Concentrating

Post by grandduke » 13 Sep 2010, 14:55

B12, more like benzine and you sleep when
you run out of fuel. :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Sep 2010, 19:37

Dawn, I am on the same schedule, one B12 injection per month and it is really worth it.

I think it is the Warfarin which has drained my system of the B12 vitamin. The docs won't confirm it because
they may get sidelined by the Warfarin manufacturers. Only thinking aloud, of course! :wave

Well, donander, I have sworn off the beer some years ago when I noticed that same syndrome described by you.
I'm glad I did because so far the scientists have only reported GOOD things about RED WINE!!!!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 13 Sep 2010, 20:21

Speaking of red wine, Godfather, I've just opened a Taylors Clare Valley 2008 Cab Sav. Can thoroughly recommend it, maybe the best value for money quality wine available under $15.00 a bottle at Dan's. It's the reason I'm so mellow when posting on this forum ..... :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Sep 2010, 20:51

I am jealous, Don, because Taylors is my favourite too.
Unfortunately, I am a pleb and can't afford those prices up here in Qld.

I lived in S.A. for 18 years prior moving to Qld, and I used to make regular trips to the Barossa Valley and Clare regions to stock up
for the company and myself. Taylors CabSav has always been a great drop and in SA at half the price it is affordable.

Enjoy but save a thimble full for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 13 Sep 2010, 21:30

godfather wrote: [Snip] Enjoy but save a thimble full for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You should have said something earlier; it's too late now. :oops:
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 13 Sep 2010, 22:27

Personally I never forget anything I remember doh but I reckon the more I work in my job the less I know. And definately lay the blame for that at the feet of the computer gods
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 14 Sep 2010, 10:03

Maggs wrote:My Doc has prescribed a Vit B12 injection every three months for me.....I'd like to know if that is adequate, or should I supplement that with my usual daily Berocca.
Might depend on how long ago your GP ordered the original Vit B 12 test Maggs ,& that your Vit B12 level needs a more frequent Vit B12 injection than 3/12?! "Teddy"

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 14 Sep 2010, 22:01

Regarding the article about Vitamin B helping the elderly with memory problems, I think the article said it took much more than is usually prescribed or taken to do any good and any type Vitamin B worked equally well in sufficient amounts. Vitamin B-12 seems to help and work for many people. I've never taken any vitamin supplements but maybe I should because I thought I read on this very thread where somebody and I thought it was Maggs, said something to the effect, "let's be serious. Does living alone and talking to oneself effect the cognitive ability in the elderly?" I personally believe living alone without any social contact or anyone to talk to for long periods does affect the cognitive ability in a negative way. I have nothing scientific to base this on other than personal history and my judgements and perceptions could be faulty.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 15 Sep 2010, 10:19

My life altered considerably in May 2007 when my husband had a stroke (frontal lobe) and subsequently became a victim of dementia. In the past three and a half years, I have both cared for him at home and placed him in respite care, but now he is 'care' permanently. I believe the frustration of our situation has had a bearing on my own cognitive powers resulting in a loss of confidence inasmuch that I now find myself to be "A Loner". Isolation is to be avoided at all costs and I advise anyone who might be similarly challenged to recognise that fact if they want to stay compos mentis.

I say a big thank you to Silverpeers for being there just when I needed you. If I didn't have my daily dose of SP, I would have already gone right up the wall!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 Sep 2010, 20:19

Maggs, I am sorry to hear about your troubles and sympathise with your predicament.

I believe that living alone is perhaps not all that difficult unless you let it overwhelm you.
However, there is a need for people to interact with others, either in cyberspace or in direct contact.
Of course, direct contact with family or friends is absolutely essential if at all possible.
Even a stroll to the shopping centre or a walk through the complex watching other people can be of significant help.

Living on your own can also assist with reduction of stress, because you can do what you want to do at the time when you want to do it.
There is little pressure unless you apply that yourself. I am speaking from my personal experience, and honestly feel that I am coping well.

I sometimes feel alone, but I never feel lonely!

Maggs, I personally wish you all the best, and I very much appreciate the kind remarks about Silverpeers.
I think you will find that other members are also feeling proud of having been or are your friends and that all of us are looking forward to
your participation on our forum for many more years to come.

We love you Maggs!

:bear_hug :bear_hug :bear_hug

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 15 Sep 2010, 21:06

Thank you GF....I did not mean to bemoan my own problems; just to warn that when such events occur, there is the possibility of becoming isolated and withdrawn.
With the huge increase in mental illness in recent years , in particular Alzheimer's, more emphasis should be given to making sure potential carers know how to avoid that downward spiral beforehand.
Perhaps, along with all the warnings against medical conditions now and in later life which suggest early intervention is the way to go, it should also be a prerequisite for those approaching middle and pensionable age to bone up on the possibility of having a partner succumb to a form of dementia.

I expect most people will say "I will deal with it if and when it comes"....but forewarned is forearmed!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Sep 2010, 21:25

Be assured of your value to Silverpeers, too, Maggs! We missed you greatly when you took a break.

My own experience with a partner's stroke had a humourous side. My husband was agoraphobic and paranoid, and I spent a lifetime adjusting and coping. His stroke hit the frontal lobe and destroyed areas that made him like this, so he seemed so much better! A new person! But I couldn't cope. Instead of wanting to stick at home and encouraging me to go out and about, now he wanted to go shopping every day, buy everything he saw advertised, leave the windows uncovered at night when he was getting undressed - oh so much more! As his brain healed he gradually returned to his old misogynist self, and I could cope again. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Now living on my own I feel I am in the best part of my life. No one to please but myself. I have plenty of interests, more than I can handle, even before my computer reached out and dragged me in. :happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 16 Sep 2010, 09:53

Maggs & Dreamweaver,I'm sorry you both had to cope with such distressing situations.My sincere admiration for the way you coped both then and now.Maggs,I hope I didn't offend you when I suggested it might be time to check your Vit B12 levels."Teddy" :angry-soapbox:

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 16 Sep 2010, 16:29

Teddy, I don't get offended easily....I am more likely to give offence....my sense of humour being a bit wacky!
Please don't have worries on that score.

Dreamweaver, It is great to hear that your husband was able to recover somewhat from his stroke. I did get the odd grin from Lada and maybe even one or two of his badly told jokes during the first year or so, but that is well past now. I longed for my my freedom to do what I wished, until I got it and didn't know what to do with it. At least I have made a start by reworking the placement of furniture, throwing the junk out and redecorating.....now the place looks like a "setting" at Harvey Norman ! I can't win can I! :lol:

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 17 Sep 2010, 08:18

Teddy wrote:Maggs & Dreamweaver,I'm sorry you both had to cope with such distressing situations.My sincere admiration for the way you coped both then and now.Maggs,I hope I didn't offend you when I suggested it might be time to check your Vit B12 levels."Teddy" :angry-soapbox:
Maggs,I should have explained earlier ,when I suggested an update on your Vit B12 levels,it was not for neurological reasons,but I'd recalled ,you stating on an earlier post ,sleeping problems and thinking ,perhaps this girl's health(I realised from earlier Posts,you lived alone and such folk don't always care as well for themselves ,as they do for others)is part of the lack of sleep problem.(Can't help it ,occupational hazard !) :twocents-mytwocents: