Basic Needs

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dawn

Re: Basic Needs

Post by Dawn » 06 Nov 2010, 17:12

Oh yeah, you just have GD! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way DW, I am one of those eccentrics who actually fill in those polls! I usually thoroughly enjoy doing so, simply because for a change I might be listened to!

And I also enjoy being a little bit eccentric too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ah, that rich tapestry of life!

And Teddy, I never ever watch soapies either! I reckon you can say good bye to your mind when you do that! Variety is the spice of life, not two American/Australian. English soapie stars yelling at each other about who has been sleeping with who? Or should that be whom? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 07 Nov 2010, 08:26

"Bravo", Dawn......we have earned the right to be eccentric if we feel the need :lol:

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 07 Nov 2010, 10:45

Maggs wrote:"Bravo", Dawn......we have earned the right to be eccentric if we feel the need :lol:
Was it Germaine Greer who said she was growing old disgracefully?
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Nov 2010, 14:45

The segments of society were classes as

Values Segments

· Basic Needs
· A Fairer Deal
· Traditional Family Life
· Conventional Family Life
· Look At Me
· Something Better
· Real Conservatism
· Young Optimism
· Visible Achievement
· Socially Aware
Do you think most of us here fall into Socially Aware? It is 14% of the population
Socially Aware

Socially Aware© refers to a pattern of responses offered by people who are community minded and socially active. Information vacuum cleaners, this segment are always searching for something new and different and new things to learn. They believe strongly in the concept of learning a living rather than earning a living, always seeking new opportunities for training, education and knowledge.

Given a choice between A and B, they will seek more information about their choices and consider the consequences of each choice before making a decision. They are thinkers, sometimes spending so much time thinking about the issues that they never actually get things done. This, coupled with a strong sense of social responsibility and an attraction to convincing others of their opinions results in a great deal of this segment being involved in pressure groups, and working as public servants, politicians and researchers. This segment can be idealistic, believing they can change the world or save the world if they can just get enough people to agree with them.

Whilst this pattern of responses can lead to someone being passionate in their opinions, they can equally be changeable - As Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict everything you said today".

Their attraction to things which are new and innovative usually means that they are the first to take up on new products and services, often just for the excitement of having a new toy - regardless of the cost. This interest in innovation and things which different also leads to an interest in design and fashion. Their fashion sense tends to be very designer orientated, but with a tactile nature, they prefer natural fabrics.

A thirst for knowledge and information and a global focus leads to them being heavy consumers of newspapers, particularly national newspaper and major metropolitan dailies. Their interest in magazines reflects their desire for new information which is not presented in mainstream media and technology, being more likely to be readers of The Monthly, Big Issue, BRW and New Scientist. Their heavy readership of national newspapers also makes them more likely to read the news inserted glossy magazines like the Financial Review magazine, Boss and Wish as well as Good Weekend. They are also frequent flyers, reading Qantas - The Australian Way and other airline magazines.

They tend to be light consumers of commercial television, preferring the ABC and SBS, which offer a more globally focussed and more cerebral approach. They tend to be attracted to programmes which give an alternative perspective and more information on issues such as Foreign Correspondent, Four Corners, Compass and Catalyst. Their taste in comedy tends to be more witty or satiric like the Hollowmen or Summer Heights High.

This segment tends to be one of the main supporters of the Arts, particularly those which are less mainstream. Their taste in music includes classical music, jazz, folk, world and other less popular, more "sophisticated" music. They are more likely to listen to ABC radio and community broadcasters who are capable of catering to their tastes and their opinions.

Visit the Roy Morgan Online Store to purchase a copy of this profile
I dream, therefore I am.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 07 Nov 2010, 18:54

I used to be but I don't think I am anymore. I seem to have hot my innovations Input limit a few years ago when I clashed with my mobile phone.

The last two paragraphs are definitely me. The only magazine I read in the New Scientist, but I have tried the Monthly and BRW and have rejected then as not being relevant to me because I don't have any money. My view re magazines is definitely global rather than national or even local. I would love to have the time to read newspapers but I don't even get to read Mondays paper which I buy every week because of The Guide!

I have a very tactile nature. And being an Aries I have always been one of those people who actually do things and get them done especially if others are dithering about trying to make up their minds. Indecisive I am definitely not!
an attraction to convincing others of their opinions results in a great deal of this segment being involved in pressure groups,
The above is definitely not me! Age has some advantages, as I used to be very opinionated and quite intolerant and I still have my moments but thankfully, I have learnt to bend a little!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 07 Nov 2010, 20:27

Well, if this sentence is all I need, then I am 'Socially aware':

".........Their taste in music includes classical music, jazz, folk, world and other less popular, more "sophisticated" music........".

\:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 07 Nov 2010, 21:23

The one part I do relate to-natural fabrics,always wear "cottontails." :lol: