Aged hostels

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Aged hostels

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Feb 2011, 23:25

My sister is in a hostel for the aged, one of a number run by our city hospital services. I recently sent an email to the the person overseeing these hostels.

I note on page 9 of the Aged and Community Services Australia issue 240, 14th October 2010, the following:
Make Internet Access Mandatory

Aged care facilities throughout the country should make the move into the digital age, providing greater internet access for residents as a right and not a privilege. Information and communications technology expert, Dr. John Murnane from the University of Melbourne believes in this day and age, facilities should not simply wait for residents to demand internet access.

My sister, *** ***, a resident in***** *****, has been struggling with dial up access. It will not cater for even standard gmail and she has to try and cope with their basic version, which is lacking in the very things an elderly person needs to operate.

I realise upgrading to supply access for every room is still not viable, but I am hoping access can be arranged for those residents who wish, at a much lower rate than a private subscription which is neither affordable nor necessary for these people.
I got a reply saying the matter had been referred to the particular hostel manager. That person said it was too expensive to install a service, and linking her in to their own service could cause their records to be breached. Of course it would. But if 100 residents wanted broadband and it cost $500 to set up, that is $5 per head, which of course they would all be willing to pay. That's if there were 100. As it stands there is only one, herself. It looks like a wireless connection for her, but shouldn't these places plan for the future too?
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Aged hostels

Post by grandduke » 26 Feb 2011, 11:40

Dreamweaver did you say she was getting basic care, i make that point
because it would appear that is all they get while the organisation
running the centre tries to maximise their profits.

I get better care than that living at home, my health care fund which
i have been with for 30+ years has just given me an invitation to join
their betterhealth programs, shortly a nurse will contact me to work
out a profile.
They offer betterhealth on call 24 hour access to nursing staff.
Betterhealth coaching, and betterhealth online,
all for no extra cost and its all arranged through my local GP.
Blimey i don't need to sleep with one eye open anymore.
:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 26 Feb 2011, 12:07

Nothing about basic care, Dukey. Basic applies to the version of Gmail that she has to use instead of Standard, on dial up.

She is not in a profiteering private facility, but one run by the city health services. She has paid an ingoing fee and a weekly fee according to her means, the government subsidises what people can't pay.

She was admitted at the basic level but as her age increases and health deteriorates she has been put up a level (at extra cost) and now receives incontinence aids, local phone calls, various other things, at no charge. She is not yet at nursing home level.
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 26 Feb 2011, 14:50

Hi DW, a quick question or two.
Are the facilities expected to house more than 10 people eventually?
If not, a link into their system has no problematic consequences unless all the residents are absolute Internet geeks!
The reason they don't like to let them join their system is because they can't charge them for it.
Wireless is the option but please keep in mind that not all ISPs have a wide spread coverage.
Look at the map provided on the ACN web site and take note of their coverage in the area before signing up. :handgestures-thumbsupright:
-----
For interests sake, this web site & forum was built because of the need for people to have access to the internet, especially when confined to
rest homes, care facilities or nursing homes. The nursing home where this inspiration came from has now some 48 residents and all rooms are
connected to the Internet. There is a monthly charge but it is much lower than the cheapest private ISP I am aware of. The nursing home understands
the needs of the residents and in fact encourages the daily use of the computer. When I first heard that they had actually taken up the challenge
I had tears running down my cheeks. It was very gratifying indeed. I give full credit to the Matron and her staff for their incredible faith in the project.

=D> =D> =D> :bear_hug :bear_hug :bear_hug
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 26 Feb 2011, 23:44

GF, each hostel here has 80 or so residents. In my sister's, she is the only resident who is computer literate at all. It is wonderful to hear of the nursing home you mention. Are they privately run, or a Health Dept. facility? More power to them, and I wonder if they have a brochure I could flash around here as an example!
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 27 Feb 2011, 09:48

DW, the reason i mentioned this further is my Sister has been
a nurse all her life trained in England, worked in America, had
a number of years in the RAAF and is now in aged care.

The last facility she worked in she was doing high care and
because management, (private that is), would not give her more
trained staff she had to give them away, to old, to much stress.

I have mentioned this before if anybody remembers, a very dear
friend of mine audits aged care facilities for the federal agencies,
and the feds fund them, she tells me if they are not compliant with
regulations auditors highlight their non compliance and give them time
to rectify the problem, should they fail funding is withdrawn.

They become compliant alright quick smart. And may i add this includes
area's in the far north as well as the rest of the country. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 27 Feb 2011, 15:09

Donander has done some research relevant to calculation of assets when moving into aged care - http://www.silverpeers.com/public_html/ ... =49&t=6309

There is quite a bit to study up on, and you need two or better five years time to act. To add a little to what Donander has discovered -
The value of the home will still count if it has been sold less than two years earlier.(May be five - I forget) If you sell to a family member it must be at full market price as determined by the government valuer. A spouse is granted security of tenure. Same for a carer if he/she has been registered as carer for at least 2 years, and for a close relative if he/she has lived there for 5 years.
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 27 Feb 2011, 17:57

dreamweaver,i'm not quite sure if your sister does not have broadband,that is her problem or the particular dial -up isp.i have tadaust dial-up,it is slow as with all dial-up,but reliable and very economical.
when i see posts with u tube sites suggested etc., think b'band would be great,but tadaust dial-up meets my needs.private health insurance charges are being increased,ours is quite expensive,but prefer to retain same.dental costs are very high,even with the recommended dentists,the health fund suggests.we are still?blessed with our own teeth.
our gp told me,it's the last 3 years of as person's life when they use their private health fund. i aint one of dawn's pussies,or mahalia's neighbours nasty cats,with 9 lives.been making use of that private health fund last couple of years.no need for you all to look so happy.teddy :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 27 Feb 2011, 20:35

Teddy, don't try and scare us. We have a lot of time for our friends and really don't want them leave in a hurry! :wink

DW, it's run by the RSL and no, there is no brochure.
I understand that each venue receives a regular contribution towards up-keep and it is up to the Matron of each venue to use the funds
to the best of her ability. Maybe they go without something else but it wasn't obvious to me during my last visit. Albeit all 48 rooms are wired
to the net, only some 20 or so are actually using the net daily. Don't forget that most of these residents are in their 70's and 80's.
When the current crop of internet savvy people are in need of nursing home care, the facilities will be there (or should be there) to be used.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.