Retired and wired

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Retired and wired

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 May 2011, 17:56

http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2011/05/ ... y-seniors/

With a little help from McCrindle Research, the team has been examining the numbers and we’ve debunked the common stereotype that many older people are afraid of new technologies. In fact, it would be fair to say you can most certainly teach an old dog plenty of new tricks when it comes to technology.

For example, did you know the fastest growing audience on Facebook® is women aged over 50? In fact around half a million Australians aged over 65 are regularly on the site – sharing stories, posting comments or uploading snaps.

Some other insights that leapt out to me were:

* The average Australian senior sends at least one text message every day.
* Seniors are increasingly likely to use more sophisticated mobile phone features such as taking and sending photos, recording video, using apps, accessing the internet and even downloading ringtones.
* Older Australians are most likely to email friends (27%), read the news (20%) or use social media (12%).

It’s a pretty impressive feat given the tech world can be a scary place for newcomers and not everyone is a natural ‘gadget guy’ or ‘gadget girl’.

Telstra Retired & Wired Nomination FormTo celebrate our linked in, linked on seniors, Telstra is today launching the search for a tech savvy senior to help us spread the word about how you can use technology to help you connect with family, friends and the world – regardless of your age.

We’re calling the search “Retired & Wired” and the team is on the look out for Australians aged 55 or over using services like video calling, that share photos on email or via MMS, or have mastered Facebook and Twitter.

The finalists for “Retired & Wired” win a Technology Prize Pack consisting of a Pre-Paid Telstra T-Touch Tab™ and a Pre-paid Telstra Wi-Fi™ device to help them compete in the finals. And, excitingly, the ultimate winner will walk away with $10,000 in cash and be given a national platform to share their technology tips and tricks.
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Retired and wired

Post by Teddy » 15 May 2011, 21:01

Is there a "Booby Prize" I wonder,if there is,never having been on either FaceBook nor Twitter,I'm a sure cert?!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 May 2011, 21:14

I believe that Seniors are now becoming more interested in technology compared to say four/five years ago.
The initial hurdles of fear and the unknown have been broken down and us older 'geeks' are getting more adventurous by the day.

But, hey, who in the devils name wants to become a 'face for Telstra'??

I pity anyone having to stand up and claim they love Telstra and can't do without them! :eek :eek :eek
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 16 May 2011, 09:55

Quite gives you a panic attack doesn't it GF? 8-[ 8-[ 8-[