Capt Jack & Jude and "Banyandah"

How can we improve the prognosis for our maturing Australians? Suggestions, ideas, proposals for better social and health issues, including retirement accommodation, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Capt Jack & Jude and "Banyandah"

Post by godfather » 20 Apr 2014, 21:20

We have had an update from Jack & Jude who have improved their already fantastic web site to an even better one.
Have a look here and I am sure that you'll agree the improvements are massive:

http://jackandjude.com/log/

More stories, more pictures and many extra details are now shown on the new site. Well done guys, wonderful and magic!
And they are getting ready to once more challenge the waves on their adventures with the newly serviced "Banyandah".
Here is a brief run up to the next trip which we hope will be as successful and save as most of their ventures have been previously.

Getting Ready to Sail

Friday was a pearler, so we put the last coat of Hemplin Enamel on our decks. It dried beautifully. The following morning, Saturday, early, Darren of Emu Point Slipway came down to lift us out, so Jude and I could touch up Banyandah’s bottom in one last big job before setting off across the Great Australian Bight. (To read more click on the above link.)

Cheers,
Jack & Jude

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 18 May 2014, 20:25

More from the happy crew onboard of the "Banyandah" just arrived in my inbox.
Here it is:

Safe in South Australia
(Read the whole story and their blog here: http://jackandjude.com/log/ )
Banyandah has successfully sailed across the Australian Bight once again, and although we suffered gales, calms and winds from all directions, Jack and Jude have arrived safe in South Australian waters without injury or breaking any gear on our ship. For this we feel especially thankful.

Cheers,
Jack & Jude

Thanks guys for the update. Glad you've hit SA without a spot of bother. All SPs wish you a safe passage to your next point in this adventure.
Good health and fair winds to Jude and Jack!

=D> =D> =D>
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 04 Jun 2014, 22:18

Here is your regular update from the two sailors of the vessel "Banyandah", Capt Jack and his first officer Jude.
I hope that you enjoy reading the adventures of these two Grey Water-Nomads!

Fairytale End of Year

Banyandah lies alongside one of the friendliest clubs in Australia, a stone’s throw from a mangrove forest alive with herons, pelicans, grebes, and cormorants. Peace reins supreme after yesterday’s fierce fifty-mile passage, now nearly a forgotten memory, except for the fantastic speeds that made it possible to make the high tide necessary to traverse the seven tortuous miles through the mud flats of Barker Inlet..

Cheers,
Jack & Jude

:wqoohoo :wqoohoo :wqoohoo

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 Jul 2014, 21:35

Just got the latest installment from our Grey Nomads of the Seven Seas.......our partners in crime, Jack & Jude.

A Difficult Birth - Our First Blu-Ray Video
We have just watched our Coral Sea video from the Blu-Ray HD disc we made earlier today and thought it perfect.
The menus Jack constructed that reach the extra material work without a hitch.
Therefore we proudly announce the official release of one of the mightiest adventures,

The Coral Sea and Search for the Duroc

Startling discovery starts search for French Frigate lost in 1856.
The Search for the Duroc - 90 minute video - Available in HD Blu-ray and DVD
Watch the Trailer (http://vimeo.com/99796215)

Our updated blog is available here: http://jackandjude.com/log/

Cheers,
Jack & Jude

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 09 Sep 2014, 19:28

That captain & his first mate have just sent in another report, this time they are at home and not at sea.
The story is interesting and the new web site is already working overtime.
I am sure that you will be keen to read the latest update. Enjoy!

Hello from our home base at Ballina NSW

Just a few notes to let you know that our website has just been moved to a new host in Singapore. To us it seems to look right and seems even faster. But if you notice any glitches, a quick note would be appreciated.

Did you see Foreign Correspondent on ABC TV 8PM Sept 2 highlighting that Tuna Stocks are on the brink of disaster?
We have added more information on this alarming and critical issue on our Earth Now webpage (http://jackandjude.com/earth-now/).

New Blog: >> Raptor Up Close (http://jackandjude.com/log/)

While we have not recently been sailing to faraway destinations filled with wild creatures, we did have the fascinating experience of viewing a majestic Osprey up close. A pair of these magnificent creatures regularly took their fish catch to the power pole near our house to feed. Alas, one was electrocuted the other day. Especially tragic as Osprey mate for life, but we gave the creature a fine farewell after showing him to our grandchildren.

In other news:
Medical Mission to Vanuata is seeking additional medical persons, (eg dentist, dental assistant or therapist, doctor, optometrist, nurse etc) who'd like to volunteer for future missions - as it turns out they have further missions in late September and early October. Here's their blog for the last mission (http://pcvmaewoaugust2014.wordpress.com/). Contact Robert Latimer for more information.

Killing with Kindness
"Killing" might be an exaggeration but considering rising obesity levels and the damage that causes to health, maybe it's not a big one. If we aren't killing our children, we are damaging them. Fortunately, some are beginning to fight back. Here are two good articles from The Age.
Better out than in: Westgarth bush kindergarten plunges kids back into nature (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bette ... ztyxx.html)
* "All the evidence shows that children learn better when they've had the opportunity to play outside," says kindergarten director Doug Fargher.
* It’s based on the philosophy that children taking risks at the right age and in the right environment will endow them with experience that ultimately keeps them safe.
* Research commissioned by Planet Ark found that there has been a dramatic shift in childhood activity from outdoor to indoor play in one generation. While about 70 per cent of adults played outdoors more than indoors when they were young, this compared to only 13 per cent of their children.
Over-protected, over-organised ... why kids need time to play (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/d ... ztq7p.html)
* We are at risk of losing something precious: the unobserved child, Tranter says. The child who walks to school with friends and unearths treasures on the way. The child who plays with gleeful abandon, unmonitored by their parents.
* "We need to come to the realisation that we are overprotecting our kids. It might seem like a good idea at the time but unless you get them to take some risks, they're never going to learn. When they play, they learn a hell of a lot," he says.
* "Parents' fears are completely out of touch with reality. The American stats show that if you left your children on the side of the road, you would have to wait 750,000 years before they were kidnapped by a stranger."

Cheers,
Jack & Jude

:awesome:

captjack

Post by captjack » 15 Oct 2014, 09:11

We got a gentle nudge from Godfather and here we are to say hello to all Silverpeers. And to thank our Godfather heaps and heaps for posting so many of our updates. :text-thankyou:

We flew back to our home base in Ballina to celebrate Jack's 70th - A joyous occasion for all, even for Jack who admits it caused him some erroneous, misbegotten thoughts. "Why there are heaps out sailing the seas well past my age," he declared shoulders squared, pecks pumped to full power. "It's a matter of good fortune and working hard to maintain physical peak."

Having said that, it is getting harder. Jack and Jude need to be even more careful and organised when managing a small ship weighing nearly 15 tonnes. We had a heck of a gale trap us in an exposed anchorage off the WA southern coast and there was nothing else we could do but wait till the powerful blasts forced us out, and then we ran before the storm, the sea quickly building in power and height. Just the two of us, many miles from assistance, that's our norm. Relying on each other is the way we prefer life. Simpler, easier, and less chance of a muckup from others.

Last year we fulfilled a dream first contemplated 35 years ago when we're basically just kids compared to where were at now. On a remote desolate sand islet surrounded by vast miles of open sea, Jack discovered a bronze eyebolt protruding from a coral shelf and this lead us to discover that a French Naval vessel had run aground on what was, in 1856, an uncharted reef. But where on that 20 mile long reef did those 75 sailors lose their ship, and was any of that steam driven timber vessel still there?

Leaving Ballina a year ago last June, we sailed our homebuilt ship into the Coral Sea to the furthermost isle under Australian management, lying 550 miles (1000 km) offshore. Just the two of us anchored behind an island less than 2 m high with no vegetation other than patches of coarse grass, and yet occupied by literally thousands of nesting sea birds, from there we mounted a search for the Duroc. The amazing wildlfe and our search and amazing findings were recorded in HD video. Jack has edited nearly 50 hours of footage into a 90 minute action feature balanced between the adventure and beauty of the Coral Sea and its wonderful wildlife with the search above and below the seas for the French Frigate remains.

There's a short trailer online here https://vimeo.com/108867063
The full DVD or BluRay video can be ordered from our website, or if you're into streaming videos for instant viewing, our Coral Sea Adventure will soon be available for just a couple of dollars from https://vimeo.com/ondemand/jackandjude
Note: at present only our first DVD, Circumnavigating Australia, is available. But it's a top show. For a gold coin you can watch the full 90 minute video of beautiful, remote and curious places around this wonderful island continent.

Wishing everyone a wonderful summer, we'll be somewhere around this magical place called Australia, while we can - use or lose it........ Did we mention that Jude broke her leg when on top a Kimberley waterfall? Took five weeks to patch her up enough to sail to the hospital near Dampier. The whole yarn is in October's Cruising Helmsman.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 15 Oct 2014, 09:25

Fair weather and calm seas to thee me hearties yehaa sail on yehaa. =D> =D> =D>
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

captjack

Post by captjack » 15 Oct 2014, 11:06

Many thanks Grand Duke for your well wishes. But a bit of stormy stuff is OK, in fact it adds zest - as long as it doesn't blow straight in our face, and not calamitously. :thinking:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 19 Nov 2014, 20:17

Capt Jack & Jude have sent us a quick note saying that they are in the middle of preparing for their next adventure on the high seas. (I suspect they are trying to get away from the embarrassements Abbott is dishing out on Australia!)
Here is the latest from the two travellers.

Hello from the port of Ballina, NSW

Just a short note this month to say that it's been a hectic time preparing for our return to Banyandah
. In addition to doing some much needed house maintenance we have been organizing a new steel shed which we'll soon erect.
The slab gets poured next week.

Practical Boat Tips (also published online)
Here is something far more useful for our boating friends. These last few months a series of excerpts from Jude’s handy book, Practical Boat Bits and Tips, have been published online by Cruising Helmsman.
We have put them up on our website or you can view them at mysailing.com.au.

Topics include:

Noodles to stop cups rattling
Anti-skid on stair treads
Easy access to hull and fittings
Drop-down cupboard doors
Getting your head around the head
Dry food lockers
Old socks make good muffs
Non slip mats
The galley
Stove safety
The fridge

Please drop in for a peruse, you may find just the solution you need.

The Environment:
It has been a big week for facts and statements, beginning with the United Nations top scientists declaring the highest levels of CO2 in 800,000 years ! And then identifying burning fossil fuels as the cause. This was followed by Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying, "Coal is good for humanity, coal is good for prosperity, coal is an essential part of our economic future, here in Australia, and right around the world," he said. "Coal is essential for the prosperity of the world."
More on our Earth Now webpage.

Welcome aboard all Newsletter newcomers!

Till next time just remember, Turning dreams into reality is simply good planning and hard work.
Jack and Jude [/b]

----------------------------------------

Trust me, those two write some fascinating real life stories!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 14 Jan 2015, 21:56

Capt Jack & Jude sent an update whilst I was away.
I am sorry for being late posting it, but better late than not at all. :lol:

Hello from Adelaide, South Australia (dated 5-1-2015)

Just a short note to say we are back on board Banyandah and sailing on the weekend for Tasmania and the Wooden Boat Festival where we will launch our latest book, Reflections in a Sailor's Eyes.

Jude's written a short blog ( http://jackandjude.com/log/ ) about our first week where temps hit a whopping 44 C. No wonder we are sailing south!!

The Yellowbrick will track our movements and we'll bring more news to you from the high seas as it happens.

REFLECTIONS IN A SAILOR'S EYES
The proof copy has been approved and we have an order ready to submit at the end of the week before setting sail for Tasmania.
If you would like a signed copy then pre-order here (http://jackandjude.com/short-stories/re ... /#preorder). We can then reserve a copy for you. Books will be posted from Hobart first week in February.
After that, books will be sent from the distributor, signed copies not so easily available.
Costs $28 delivered in Australia.
Overseas extra postage required, email for charges.

Fair winds and Blue Skies,
Jack & Jude
----------------------------------------

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 04 Feb 2015, 20:58

A quick update from Jack & Jude on the "Banyandah":

Hello from Strahan, West Coast Tasmania

It’s been cyclonic since changing hats one month ago.
The transformation from landlubbers to ocean sailors was not so easy. Nor were the miles gained from Adelaide to Tasmania’s wild West Coast with our strength and stamina harder to find. The rough ‘n tough passages ever so satisfying proving once again that Banyandah is a class act, a truly easily managed, strong ocean sailor.

We have updated our blog (http://jackandjude.com/log/#away ) with four new additions and a reminder that we'll be releasing our latest book, "Reflections" at the Hobart Wooden Boat Festival this coming Friday. Hope to see some of you there and sign your copy of our book of short stories that begins with our African Honeymoon and cute stories of our kids afloat, ending with the drama of Jude, grandmother to nine, breaking her leg in the remote Kimberley.

• GIYC Sausage Sizzle
• We're Away
• Rough, Tough 'n Satisfying
• Walk to the Wild Side
• Reflections in a Sailor’s Eyes

Jack & Jude

May the winds be in your favours!

:good_luck :good_luck :good_luck

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 18 Feb 2015, 21:41

Our two sailors have dropped us an update from their latest adventure which took them to Tasmania for the Wooden Boat Festival. There are a few pictures which will be of great interest to those who have been following Capt Jack & Jude onb their adventures.

Hello again from Strahan, West Coast Tasmania

We have been to the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart and have updated our blog with many photos. (http://jackandjude.com/log/)

Warm and sunny conditions brought a huge crowd of boat lovers to Hobart's Wooden Boat Festival where they strolled the docks, talking with crews and snapping probably upwards of a million photos. A special aura prevailed for young families dreaming of adventure, also perfect for the older ones to reminisce of their days at sea, and simply great for those pursuing the dream to find new ideas and motivation.

A link to another 75 photos of Hobart's Wooden Boat Festival (https://plus.google.com/photos/+CapnJac ... 3455849169)
A link to another 70 photos of our voyage home around the bottom of Tasmania (https://plus.google.com/photos/+CapnJac ... 2205501297)

Here are early comments on our latest book, Reflections in an Sailor's Eyes :

Thanks Jack and Jude for the signed copy of your latest book, "Reflections In a Sailor's Eyes". I found it enthralling. I don't know how you have managed to survive so long!!! Great stuff!..................Terry

I have started your book and I am loving it. I now worry that we have been in a car with you guys. After reading about Africa, I am beginning to question your sanity. What a blast! I am enjoying it so much, I advertised it amongst my contacts on Facebook. Hope you pick up a few more orders.
............Hinchie

We came back with just ten copies, email if you would like one signed by the authors (Aus only)

Jack & Jude

:high_fives: :high_fives: :high_fives:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 28 Feb 2015, 21:40

Have just received another update from the travellers still in Tasmania.
(Yes Teddy, agree with your warmer waters idea, but I guess they are a tough couple of Polar Bears!)

Hello again from Strahan, West Coast Tasmania

We have been kayaking and camping up the historical King River assessing the change since the Queenstown Mine changed hands and new regulations were enacted. Full story and photos on our website.

Jack & Jude

Like Teddy, I shiver every time I read they are still in Tasmania. Must be near freezing down there!

:worried:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 19 Apr 2015, 22:25

The latest update from Capt Jack & Judy came a couple of days ago. I am sorry for being late in posting this interesting story with a link to their very entertaining web pages with some extraordinary photos. Great job by Judy & Jack!

Hello yet again from Strahan, West Coast Tasmania

We're celebrating Jude's Birthday Tonight!

We have just returned from another two week stint "Continuing the Hunt" for an elusive bridge built by the Huon Piners some 60 or 70 years ago. While searching the forests, we tagged and cleared more of the historic Goulds Landing track.
Goulds Landing was named after Tasmania’s first Geological Surveyor, Charles Gould (1834-1893), who cut the original track in three expeditions into western Tasmania in the 1860s

It seems a shame to us that economic restrictions and a lack of passion for our pioneers should see these historic byways gobbled up and lost, when they could with a wee bit of effort be transformed into living classrooms where our youth can learn about and feel the wonders of nature.

Photos from story on our website: http://jackandjude.com/log/

We're looking for a weather window to begin our journey north to the mainland. A lovely BIG high pressure system cantered in the Bight would be sweet.

Jack & Jude

And safe sailing for our adventurers!

:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 07 May 2015, 22:21

Hot of the press comes this quick update from Capt Jack & his chief Mate Jude.

We've just come out of the Gordon River yet again after a third look for that elusive bridge, or that's the excuse we have used each time to immerse ourselves in some of Earth's greatest rainforest. In addition to enjoying the beauty and adventure, we have been on a mission to try and find a lost historical track through the SW forest that leads to an immense buttongrass plain. Daunting is a mild description of the task.

This time we took our base camp deep into rich forest and set it up next to two old Huon pines left behind by the piners that must be nearly a thousand years old. From there, every day for three days on the trot we pushed further into thick growth, tagging, and clearing away enough for an experienced person to follow. Maybe next season there will be others who can open the track up so that students and less able folk can have the experience.

Heaps of photos as usual, and this time 9 short vids so you can tag along. Gear up, we're going thick wilderness this tme.

Jack & Jude

Read all about it here: http://jackandjude.com/log/