This man deserves a medal.

All the GOOD and HAPPY news from around the World.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: This man deserves a medal.

Post by kfchugo » 12 Jun 2017, 19:22

Joyce is employed to run a company that is a public company and national icon. He is employed to CUT COSTS and maximise profits for shareholders. I agree with Trishia, the "pie in the face" was assault, plain and simple with no real relation to politics, gender equality, highly paid CEO's etc - they are just the excuses used. Some people dont like Joyce, so they think this was okay but what if it had been The Governor General, Malcolm Turnbull, or some other well loved public personage? A crime is a crime, whether we like the victim or not.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 12 Jun 2017, 20:27

He's not employed to cut costs but to provide a profitable operation. Cutting costs is far easier than increasing revenue. Anyway, why should shareholder interests be the only interests? Businesses don't exist in a vacuum.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 13 Jun 2017, 07:45

That is a very naive outlook Perry - of course any CEO is tasked with cutting costs wherever possible and business is business - not a welfare organisation. In any business, the "bottom line" is of paramount importance and any other consideration is secondary.
Take a look at our major banks and their "social conscience" - THAT advertising is purely to address their horrendous reputation in the community and is actually NECESSARY too improve the "bottom line" of their business and I am certain THAT is their only real concern. Do you believe for one moment that our banks actually have any sort of "social conscience"?

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 13 Jun 2017, 12:48

airlines are a vicious ugly business. it's amazing qantas is still standing.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Jun 2017, 13:21

Hugo, I'm well aware that no business has a conscience. They're mostly incorporated bodies legislated to reduce owners' liabilities. But, as I said before, they don't exist in a vacuum. Besides shareholders, they have staff and customers, but more importantly they have our consent, because we supply them with the roads and ports and other facilities. We supply a stable and safe economy. We provide them with tax breaks and even change the law to remove impediments to their prospects. In other words, they operate within a society, as do we all, and they should balance their commercial interests with those of the larger society. Sadly, many choose to exploit that forbearance by avoiding due taxes, lobbying the government for special favours, and spoiling the environment.

On your other point, many CEOs have been handsomely rewarded for cutting costs instead of growing the business. Identifying savings is a CFO's job. That's been my experience in business.

Anyway, change is afoot.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jun 2017, 17:41

I found this interesting, though not altogether agreeing. I believe there is increasing room for social ethics in business.
So, when is it appropriate for a company to proclaim or exercise its social conscience? And what are the moral and ethical standards or foundations on which that social conscience is based? Are they firm or tenuous and weak? In the case of the perceived cataclysmic predictions of Climate Change, are they supported by accurate or inaccurate and fraudulent science?

Isn’t the problem with wearing one’s Social Justice Warrior insignia on one’s corporate sleeve that CEOs and their corporations become subject to more intense scrutiny about their business practices and may incur backlash from customers fatigued by constant moral preening and lecturing? Especially if a corporation’s proclaimed ethics don’t really match their actual business practices?

Should corporations employ researchers whose sole function in the company is to address the human rights abuses of countries in which they do business and bring them to the attention of the executive team? Are they putting too much burden on their public relations firms to get them out of seemingly or not so seemingly hypocritical conundrums that embarrass their brands? Or would they be wise to avoid being so vocal on social conscience/justice issues altogether and simply concentrate on making a pleasant cup of coffee, computers, and smartphones that are useful, or well-made apparel, furniture, or household goods?

With the changes promised by the incoming Trump administration, will American business be less politicized? Or will leftist Social Justice Warriors still push for companies to be even more vocal and strident about their pet causes?

Would you welcome an era of diminished social justice messaging? Would you be more inclined to patronize companies that don’t patronize you or consider your own ethical code as something bigoted or archaic? Or do you look for corporations to be more vocal about their social conscience or social justice agenda? Would you be inclined to purchase more Apple products, for example, if they made a decision not to sell their products in countries that persecute women, homosexuals, or transgenders?

Do you think Boeing should sell aircraft to Iran? Do you think, it’s simply the case that some CEOs and corporations just have their social priorities or causes messed up and they need a course correction?

I don’t pretend to have any pat answers on this. There are clearly some causes I think would benefit a company’s standing like refusing to do business with states sponsors of terror or genocide, or regimes that imprison political prisoners or persecute their citizens for their religious beliefs. But more generally, I would welcome an era where the volume on social causes from CEOs and corporations is lowered significantly.

What do you think?
https://ricochet.com/399807/corporation ... onscience/
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Jun 2017, 17:58

If businesses are intent on making sales, they should listen to their customers, and if customers drift away because they are attracted to other companies that act more ethically, so be it. I avoid buying products from some companies I regard as unethical, and I know I'm not alone in this.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jun 2017, 18:45

Community and social conscience speakers include those individuals who are selfless social reformists, inspirational humanitarians and social entrepreneurs wanting to make positive change for the benefit of society. Social conscience is an attitude of sensitivity toward and sense of responsibility regarding injustice and problems in society. Social consciousness is consciousness shared within a society. It can also be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society. Leading campaigners on social justice issues are passionate and inspirational presenters who work tirelessly and highlight social issues such as the underprivileged, the environment, community issues and social injustices locally and globally. -
See more at: http://www.platinumspeakers.com.au/Spea ... Gf5w7.dpuf
In the 216 speakers here you will undoubtedly see some you think have not walked the talk, but other than them there are some pretty influential people here, including the following CEOs, or similar

Judith Slocombe ...Telstra Business Woman of the Year Award winner and CEO of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation -
Melina Schamroth ....CEO and founder of m.a.d.woman - Se ....exceptional leadership as banking Ce
Ann Sherry AOEO -
Jane Rowe ...founder and CEO of the Mirabel Foundation -
Lucy Perry ....CEO of Sunrise Cambodia
Corey Payne ....Chairman, Future Directions Network -
Mario D'Orazio ....highly experienced Managing Director of Channel Seven Perth -
Tim Costello AO .... leading campaigners on social justice issues and is Chief Executive of World Vision Australia -
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Jun 2017, 06:32

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 15 Jun 2017, 11:22

The main point is he was attacked not because he is a millionare. CE!O but because he supports marriage equality and he is proudly gay . He was attacked by a scumbag bigoted cretin. I Admit he used a pie instead of a gun or knife but it was still a hate crime.
I guess I was dismayed that some thought it funny. Dismayed but sad to say rather used to it.

After a life in the arts and even doing stand up I do have a sense of humour. Hate is not funny ...ever.