Sit back relax

Introduce ourselves. If you are a new member, say a few words to let us know you are now part of the Silverpeers fraternity. Our members will welcome you with warm words.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: Sit back relax

Post by Warrigal » 29 Feb 2016, 20:15

Welcome from me too, Mavis.

I enjoyed Mavis Bramston too.
In particular I loved the trio of Gordon Chater, Noeline Brown and Barry Creyton.
To me they were the epitome of sophisticated wit and satire.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Feb 2016, 20:30

I actually changed my name from others I used because I am writing about this show and might get some info. My last name. Was about the Tivoli and actually I got lots of fascinating storie s about that era.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 29 Feb 2016, 21:16

Are you writing a book or doco about the show?
That sounds pretty cool to me because at the time it went to air, it was probably the most progressive Australian show on TV.

=D> =D> =D>
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Mar 2016, 04:29

I think it will be documentary providing I could get funding but just gathering info. I agree it was very progressive. Because the show was mostly satire and sending up current issues much would be obscure to younger people. Just the same very interesting. I am thrilled to find the interest here in Mavis.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Mar 2016, 04:32

It's interesting how many great Australians appeared on Mavis. The big four were Gordon Chater, Caolyyn Raye, June Salter and Barry Creyton. Of course Noelene Brown. Later stars were Ron Fraser Ronnie Stens and even for a while believe it or not Lucky Star. Who remembers I,Ve been every where man?

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 01 Mar 2016, 21:21

I always thought that MB was the show that dragged us out of the doldrums.
It broke new ground and led to a few more experiences for TV, ie. "No:96" and similar material.
Love to see you writing a history of the show, especially since it was nearly three years for leading the charts.

:wqoohoo :wqoohoo :wqoohoo
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 04 Mar 2016, 12:43

The Mavis Bramston show launched many careers in tv. What about later stars like Ron Fraser and his second best friend scetch. It is like a microcosm of Australian history. Gordon Chater used to do a chat on the park bench and he played an old man. I can't recall the young actor or actress who chatted with him. I argue this sect has led to the brilliant Mc Gooley series. I don't think we ever created a better sit com with the exception I guess of Mother and Son. Hers some trivia. When Chater left the show the sentimental but funny park bench sketch was replaced with the wonderful English import Ronnie Stevens ( a master of drag) and he played this role very straight. Instead of Gordon they used the old actress Neva Carr Glynn. A true icon. Anyone recall her? Because the show was quite topical it is a history lesson for a time of conscription and other BIG issues of the day.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 04 Mar 2016, 16:11

The cast of the mavis bramston show!

WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Mar 2016, 01:16

Oh wow thank so much. I loved it. What a great artist Barbra Angel was. Of course Mavis herself really did not figure much at all lol. That was a real in joke. Theatre people often called old ladies that wen o matinees as Mavis.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 05 Mar 2016, 13:01

Typo old ladies who went to matinees were referred to as Mavis