Is it ok to correct peoples spelling and Grammar.

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Is it ok to correct peoples spelling and Grammar.

Post by mavisbramston »

It is interesting how manners at times on Face Book can be so terrible.
I say no. It is not acceptable.
Many people may not be well educated, vision problems, ESL etc.
I get furious with the fermin Grammar Nazis on FB.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Is it ok to correct peoples spelling and Grammar.

Post by kfchugo »

I agree, Mavis. Some people may not have the advantage of a good education or may simply be of advanced years and have forgotten the niceties of our language. As for myself, so long as I can understand a persons meaning (whether spoken or written) I am content to let spelling or grammar issues slide.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

A lot of posts are written quickly, and English may be a second language for others. Like kfchugo says, providing you can understand what's being said, settle for that.
Time is running out...

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

I do not mind being politely corrected. I make many typo mistakes. Betty our much missed member used to send me a pvt and kindly politely let me know.
My objection is the condescending nastiness of some people on FB.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

One of the strings to my bow is proofreading. I still get paid to do it. I've always had this skill, perhaps because I'm a literal reader, i.e. I pronounce every word in my head. The downside is that I pick up misspellings, poor word choice and grammar whether I want to or not. I manage.
Time is running out...

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy »

If somebody,was constantly correcting my spelling and grammar mistakes,I would have no hesitation in giving the same back to them. Thankfully,nothing like that happens on this site.
As for Facebook,I stay well away from all that petty stuff.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

When I was at school a great deal was made of correctness, but in my children's day they were told that transmitting the intended meaning was the all important thing. I do now see some strange sentences where autocorrect has 'fixed' the typing. :lol:

Also when editing goes wrong. I saw today on a home remedies site -
"A ready-made remedy is taken once a day, after eating 4 tea spoons." 8-[
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

Perrorist wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 11:41
One of the strings to my bow is proofreading. I still get paid to do it. I've always had this skill, perhaps because I'm a literal reader, i.e. I pronounce every word in my head. The downside is that I pick up misspellings, poor word choice and grammar whether I want to or not. I manage.
I need help with this. Might pvt you some time.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston »

I think there is a place for correct Grammar and spelling.
Rather than publicly correcting them Betty contacted you privately.
Another idea is to make a note of common errors and conduct a lesson on it or a post.
I get very embarrassed by my stupid mistakes.
I am now wondering if embarrassed is wrong lol.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia »

Guilty as charged and like Perroist, as an ex ed those darn things just jump out and smack me in the head - but I am trying so hard to zip my lip and just scroll on by whenever one of those 'typo's hits me in the eye these days. That's the nice side of me saying that :text-imsorry: the more pedantic side tells me that a big % of people on garage sites who constantly use the word 'draws' instead of 'drawers' and even worse 'chester draws' :eek are neither vision impaired, nor elderly and they will (judging by their age) in most cases have received an education.
So as I said I'm trying to ignore it, putting it down to fumble fingers or auto correct (which it so often isn't) and walk on by - but the struggle is real.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/