Big Five mass extinction events

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Big Five mass extinction events

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Apr 2015, 15:22

Although the Cretaceous-Tertiary (or K-T) extinction event is the most well-known because it wiped out the dinosaurs, a series of other mass extinction events has occurred throughout the history of the Earth, some even more devastating than K-T. Mass extinctions are periods in Earth's history when abnormally large numbers of species die out simultaneously or within a limited time frame. The most severe occurred at the end of the Permian period when 96% of all species perished. This along with K-T are two of the Big Five mass extinctions, each of which wiped out at least half of all species.
These are the big ones. Many smaller ones have occurred in which numbers of species didn't survive.
:thinking:
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Big Five mass extinction events

Post by grandduke » 20 Apr 2015, 21:00

The next one could be us if we don't do something about pollution and
global warming. :character-oldtimer: :thinking:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

lighthouse
Silver Member

Post by lighthouse » 20 Apr 2015, 21:19

grandduke wrote:The next one could be us if we don't do something about pollution and
global warming. :character-oldtimer: :thinking:
GD ........pollution, global warming and Australia............these words have no relationship........just ask Tony A. :character-oldtimer:
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it. ”
Helen Keller

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 21 Apr 2015, 07:25

Well he would lighthouse wouldn't he taking into account
he needs someone else to tell him what to say. duh.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw