World’s Largest Tidal Power Plant

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

World’s Largest Tidal Power Plant

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Sep 2015, 00:50

5 minute video
Also in it a world map. You can pause it when it shows the two places in Australia considered as potential sites.
Funding has just been secured to break ground on the world’s largest ocean current-driven power plant on the shores of Scotland. The plant is expected to supply the electrical needs of 175,000 homes once completed, with the initial delivery of electricity expected by 2016.

The first phase of the project will include 61 tidal turbines which will supply Scotland with enough power for 42,000 families. Eventually there could be as many as 269 water turbines installed on the array, creating 398 megawatts of electricity. $83 million has been raised to start the first phase of the power plant.

Due to the slower moving blades in a water current powered turbine, it is less likely that they will cause harm to sea life or the surrounding ecosystem. Tidal turbines are much less disruptive to the flow of water than other types of tidal power such as ‘barrages’, which actually trap and release rising tide water.

The project will be built in the Pentland Firth in Scotland.
http://collectivelyconscious.net/articl ... 000-homes/
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Re: World’s Largest Tidal Power Plant

Post by Warrigal » 24 Sep 2015, 01:19

People who say that only fossil fuel can supply the energy necessary for an advanced society are lacking in imagination.

The tides of WA are huge and could fuel the development of that part of the country and allow it to become more densely populated.
Then talk of doubling our population won't seem so outlandish.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 24 Sep 2015, 04:01

Scotland has a lot of wind generators in the Irish sea & firth of Clyde, This would add an immense lot of power to the grind.
I just wonder if the marine biologist & Greenpeace, will start protesting about the marine species getting damaged.
It'll take another 50 years before Australia even considers this approach! PITY! :thinking:
WHEN YOU TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S LESS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER.Image

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Sep 2015, 21:56

in Australia they have named only Thursday Island and King Sound as potential sites. I would have thought Bass Strait would be a contender, but must admit to being a bit confused, because ocean currents and tidal surges both seem to get a mention. Is it both, or just one of these!
I dream, therefore I am.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 25 Sep 2015, 11:09

It could be either, Dreamweaver.

All you need is a reliable source of moving water to turn the turbines. For the tidal situation you would get lateral variations in the movement i.e. strongly in one direction as the tide comes in, then a lull before it reverses and goes out, followed by another lull. The turbines would need to be turndc to face the flow or alternately be designed to be rotated from the front or back direction.

For a strong ocean current that wouldn't be such a problem but the current could vary in strength with the seasons, and the tidal effects could be a complication. It is also possible to use wave energy to generate electricity using a different modification to harvest the up and down motion of the sea's surface.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.