Giant Iceberg about to go into the Southern Ocean

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Trishia

Giant Iceberg about to go into the Southern Ocean

Post by Trishia » 07 Jul 2017, 09:18

A large iceberg is about to depart from the Larsen Ice Shelf in Antarctica. This could be the start of the entire melting of the ice. A gloomy outlook!
8-[

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/things ... 7T7C39X5L/

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Giant Iceberg about to go into the Southern Ocean

Post by Dreamweaver » 07 Jul 2017, 13:49

We were warned.
But human nature is strong in denialism.
I sometimes wonder bout the death toll at Pompeii, and in the vicinity of other volcanoes.
Did people ignore the threat?
I dream, therefore I am.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 07 Jul 2017, 15:46

Yes they probably did ignore the warning [if there was one]
Just like our politicians have ignored the multiple warnings from the scientists about emission control and global warming. It will probably be too late by the time they wake up and stop using stuff like COAL.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 07 Jul 2017, 18:02

Governments have no excuses. If, as seems almost certain, the Larsen C ice shelf breaks off to create a humongous iceberg, its fracture will allow for numerous icebergs to follow, which, once melted, will raise sea levels to an unprecedented height.

All this was predicted decades ago and governments suitably warned. They've pussyfooted around, afraid of the consequences of enforcing appropriate measures to deal with the problem, leaving us, but mainly future generations, at the mercy of a hostile climate.

Dylan Thomas said that the world would end not with a bang but a whimper. He must have had a premonition about global warming.