Lasers, computers, for dummies in quantum land

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Lasers, computers, for dummies in quantum land

Post by Perrorist » 18 Dec 2017, 11:28

:good_one

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 18 Dec 2017, 14:02

Chanting the tables is the best way of learning them I'm sure. They still just come to me without thinking.

I think I gave up maths when we started adding and multiplying the alphabet. ???
And logarithms....! :hitting_wall

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Dec 2017, 20:24

My mother had a more modern education than my father. In primary school I was struggling with ratio and proportion, "as 5 is to 100, so 12 is to what?" She couldn't help me, just telling me the same as the teacher. The idea was to get the method right. Good old Dad came along and showed me how to easily get the right answer, forget the 'correct' method!

You can do it in your head - 240. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 18 Dec 2017, 22:27

We always had to do it in our heads if possible. It kept the brain active.
Try and ask a student to do that today and you'll get a dirty look like I did in the sample above.

Today you'll need a computer and to know how to input your data correctly. After that your hard work is done and the 'puter will have the answers for you.

It's even got to the stage to buy a computer program to write computer programs yourself.

I am waiting for the day when we humans don't do anything anymore.
A computer will buy the groceries, cook the meals, eat the meals, excrete the the indigestible, serves us a drink and even sleeps for us!

How boring will that be, hey???

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.