Kilobots: A Thousand-Robot Swarm

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Kilobots: A Thousand-Robot Swarm

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 May 2018, 21:23

Click the link for video!

“Biological collectives involve enormous numbers of cooperating entities–whether you think of cells or insects or animalsæthat together accomplish a single task that is a magnitude beyond the scale of any individual,” says lead author Michael Rubenstein, a research associate at Harvard SEAS and the Wyss Institute.

He cites, for example, the behavior of a colony of army ants. By linking together, they can form rafts and bridges to cross difficult terrain. Social amoebas do something similar at a microscopic scale: when food is scarce, they join together to create a fruiting body capable of escaping the local environment. In cuttlefish, color changes at the level of individual cells can help the entire organism blend into its surroundings. (And as Nagpal points out–with a smile–school of fish in the movie Finding Nemo also collaborate when they form the shape of an arrow to point Nemo toward the jet stream.)

“We are especially inspired by systems where individuals can self-assemble together to solve problems,” says Nagpal. Her research group made news in February 2014 with a group of termite-inspired robots that can collaboratively perform construction tasks using simple forms of coordination.

https://wyss.harvard.edu/a-self-organiz ... bot-swarm/
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Kilobots: A Thousand-Robot Swarm

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 May 2018, 21:26

I dream, therefore I am.