HALLOWEEN

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
mavisbramston
Bronze Member

HALLOWEEN

Post by mavisbramston » 13 Oct 2018, 21:28

No idea where I should put this but then I read things I thought would never happen but did.
Well I for one NEVER thought Halloween would catch on in Australia.
I hated the idea.
Too American. The concept of greed did not appeal to....give me some lollies because if you dont we will play a trick on you.
With diabetes on the increase a huge sugar party is hardly needed.

I cannot believe I have changed my mind. The grand kids with their two dads all dressed up, going out together giggling laughing walking around the streets together, meeting other families....really whats the harm.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 14 Oct 2018, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: HALLOWEEN

Post by Perrorist » 14 Oct 2018, 07:35

No-one comes knocking at our door except Jehovah's Witnesses and real estate agents (who drive up). It's too strenuous a climb. I'd ignore them if they did. I'm not a fan of Hallow'een.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Oct 2018, 07:57

.History of Halloween - https://www.history.com/topics/hallowee ... -halloween

I made a practice of handing out apples to 'trick or treat' door knockers. Sad to see their disappointment, but . .

I think the main harm in Halloween is the maleficence of some householders who play tricks on the kids, putting dangerous things into the candy they give out. https://www.foodbeast.com/news/halloween-candy-bag/
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 14 Oct 2018, 08:44

I would like to see a more Australian bent to Halloween. Eg. The bunyip could be a symbol.
Still wont happen. The Easter Bilby which I thought was a great idea , never caught on.
Where I live now its a large multi cultural suburb and we get dozens of kids visiting. I used to hate it but now I am rather ambivalent and I must say it gives a sense of community.
My son was here in Melbourne on holiday and visiting us with his husband and their kids. They live in Europe and always do Halloween. I was worried about them doing it here. I thought they would get abused, after all two gay dads and their kids in suburban Australia...reaction was so supportive.
In short I think Halloween is rightly or wrongly here and its here to stay.
Lets join in the party and stop being grumpy old buggers.
I hear all the critics and I guess I agree in many ways but Halloween is not going away.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 14 Oct 2018, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 14 Oct 2018, 09:10

I'm not a fan of Halloween either. I despair at the amount of plastic junk and over-sugared lollies there are in BigW for the event.

And we don't seem to get kids at the door any more and maybe their parents are a bit wary of who may open the door to them.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 14 Oct 2018, 17:45

I let the dog out first if they knock on my door. :flaming_mad :angry: :heeheehee
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 14 Oct 2018, 18:14

I hate Halloween and refuse to answer the door on that night...........it may have been the Celts that took the idea to America but it is the Americans that have made a much bigger thing about it and much more expensive which unfortunately cottoned on in the U.K.

A few years ago there were kids throwing eggs at houses if the door wasn't opened to them and even going so far as damaging cars on driveways, fortunately I haven't heard of that in more recent years.
A rose by any other name...............