Tactile Maps of Greenland

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Tactile Maps of Greenland

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Jan 2012, 14:28

| By Nora Sawyer |
http://arctickingdom.com/tactile-maps-of-greenland/
I ran across an intriguing image today, of a tactile map used by the Inuit of Kalaallit Nunaat (aka Greenland) to navigate the coastline. The maps, carved from wood, were held inside the users’ mittens, and read by feel, rather than visually. Made from wood, they were durable, floated if dropped in the water, and were unaffected by weather and damp. The contours of the land are exaggerated, allowing users to navigate entirely by feel.

There are frustratingly few images of these maps online — I don’t know if it’s my web-research skills, or the fact that I couldn’t find any reference that gave the Inuit name for these artifacts. But I did find quite a few blog posts about the maps, all of them written by non-native posters, many of whom were intrigued by the idea of non-visual mapmaking.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dawn

Re: Tactile Maps of Greenland

Post by Dawn » 21 Jan 2012, 14:53

How wonderful DW! Would love to be able to see and touch one of those maps, but I love their carvings of animals too.