Did you know.

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
grandduke
Diamond Member

Did you know.

Post by grandduke » 04 Feb 2012, 11:09

Australia's aid budget over the last five years
was $4.36 billion, to be further doubled to
$8.00 billion over the next five years. source.
http://www.dfat.gov.au/un/making_a_difference.html

excuse me don't we have homeless people sleeping
on the streets. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Re: Did you know.

Post by donander » 04 Feb 2012, 13:15

Yes. think-smiley
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 04 Feb 2012, 13:33

People who live on the streets don't usually die from doing so.

Are we to ignore the millions who die from earthquake, volcano, tsunami, drought, floods around the rest of our world? Those millions are our kin too. We don't ignore the people who get caught in nature's catastrophes in our own country, do we?

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 04 Feb 2012, 15:42

Dawn wrote:People who live on the streets don't usually die from doing so.
Some certainly do. Some are forced into crime. Some catch disease that needs lifelong treatment.
Dawn wrote:Are we to ignore the millions who die from earthquake, volcano, tsunami, drought, floods around the rest of our world? Those millions are our kin too. We don't ignore the people who get caught in nature's catastrophes in our own country, do we?
Admirable attitude, but ............ whether private or from our government, donations to foreign aid agencies or governments - more often than not - end up in the control of local militias, dictators or aid agencies who determine what should be done with it.

Look at the problems in the Horn of Africa, the Sudans, Ethiopia, etc .... been on the news for as long as I can remember. There is no foreign imposed solution that will work and, eventually, it will sort itself out. It will be at a huge human cost whatever happens. If it were only famine, we could help but it's always "famine and conflict" . Fixing the famine is simple, fixing the conflict requires military intervention and I've seen too much of that.

How much aid do other African nations contribute I wonder. think-smiley
Dawn wrote:We don't ignore the people who get caught in nature's catastrophes in our own country, do we?
Nor we should. Although, in this wealthy country, there are people in NQ and Victoria still not recovered from the events of twelve months ago.

I know where I would like our government to direct money.
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Feb 2012, 16:39

donander wrote:
Dawn wrote:People who live on the streets don't usually die from doing so.
Some certainly do. Some are forced into crime. Some catch disease that needs lifelong treatment.
Our worst criminals don't live on the streets. The biggest health risk in Australia is heart disease, probably something more likely in the affluent than street dwellers. Help is at hand for street dwellers, thankfully.
donations to foreign aid agencies or governments - more often than not - end up in the control of local militias, dictators or aid agencies who determine what should be done with it.
So we try to rectify that, or abandon the people as being in the too hard basket? There are organisations who work on the ground with these people, and money to them does go to the problem area.
fixing the conflict requires military intervention
Do you know the Australian peace keeping force on Bougainville was completely unarmed?
How much aid do other African nations contribute I wonder.
So that excuses us? Two wrngs make a right?
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 05 Feb 2012, 21:27

Well, some people will never understand what goes on in other parts of this world.
$8b is a drop in the ocean compared to the money that is needed to feed the thousands that die daily in Africa alone.
The money the government donates does not go to aid agencies, it goes to providing direct assistance to those in need.
Not in monetary form but in the forms of pumps, shelter, medical goods, education etc. etc.
Money can be used by anyone but few will steal houses or pumps.

Having once been involved directly, I can assure most of you that without help from wealthy governments the death rates in Africa would be double what they are now.

It is a small amount of petty cash for Australia and there would be ample left over to look after all of our own as well, providing we did have a compassionate government in power!

:character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 08 Feb 2012, 11:26

Thank you o great administrator now my mind
is more settled on the subject. :wink
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw