Solar tower will power Las Vegas at night

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Solar tower will power Las Vegas at night

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Feb 2012, 09:24

SolarReserve has completed the central point of a solar project that uses molten salt storage to deliver power to the grid well after the sun has gone down.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-57373 ... xt%3Btitle

The startup company today said it has completed the 540-foot tower of the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project near Tonopah, Nev., which is expected to start delivering 110 megawatts by the end of 2013. When it comes online, it's projected to have 10 hours of storage, the longest full-load storage capacity for a solar plant.
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Re: Solar tower will power Las Vegas at night

Post by grandduke » 15 Feb 2012, 12:09

I to am going solar completion in 8 weeks,
i;m becoming a green long gone are my
environmental terrorist days. :- :- :-
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 15 Feb 2012, 15:14

I'm sure everyone will be following your progress as you let us know. I don't know whether congrats are in order or no. My own experience with solar ha been a hit and miss. I hope all works out for you.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 15 Feb 2012, 20:58

Hawks they have a 25 year guarantee so i expect
that to be in writing. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer:
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 19 Feb 2012, 23:43

Reality bites in Germany ..........
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... dies_.html
Goodnight Sunshine

Germany is cutting solar-power subsidies because they are expensive and inefficient.

Germany once prided itself on being the “photovoltaic world champion”, doling out generous subsidies—totaling more than $130 billion, according to research from Germany’s Ruhr University—to citizens to invest in solar energy. But now the German government is vowing to cut the subsidies sooner than planned and to phase out support over the next five years. What went wrong?

Subsidizing green technology is affordable only if it is done in tiny, tokenistic amounts. Using the government’s generous subsidies, Germans installed 7.5 gigawatts of photovoltaic capacity last year, more than double what the government had deemed “acceptable.” It is estimated that this increase alone will lead to a $260 hike in the average consumer’s annual power bill.
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 20 Feb 2012, 22:03

If that tower can power Las Vegas at night, then they are on a good thing.
Vegas has more lights than we have all over Australia. We've got enough wasted land in the Center where we could build a similar set up.
If we use our brains we could probably improve on the method and build it at a fraction of the costs.

Why not go for it?

:twocents-mytwocents:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.