Slimy frogs are good

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Slimy frogs are good

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Apr 2012, 14:36

Some of the nastiest smelling creatures on Earth have skin that produces the greatest known variety of anti-bacterial substances that hold promise for becoming new weapons in the battle against antibiotic-resistant infections, scientists are reporting. Their research on amphibians so smelly (like rotten fish, for instance) that scientists term them “odorous frogs” appears in ACS’ Journal of Proteome Research.

Yun Zhang, Wen-Hui Lee and Xinwang Yang explain that scientists long have recognized frogs’ skin as a rich potential source of new antibiotics. Frogs live in warm, wet places where bacteria thrive and have adapted skin that secretes chemicals, known as peptides, to protect themselves from infections. Zhang’s group wanted to identify the specific antimicrobial peptides (AMPs), and the most potent to give scientists clues for developing new antibiotics.

They identified more than 700 of these substances from nine species of odorous frogs and concluded that the AMPs account for almost one-third of all AMPs found in the world, the greatest known diversity of these germ-killing chemicals. Interestingly, some of the AMPs have a dual action, killing bacteria directly and also activating the immune system to assist in the battle.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dawn

Re: Slimy frogs are good

Post by Dawn » 01 Apr 2012, 17:18

I hope that by the time these medicines get back to us humans, they don't stink or slime as much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 01 Apr 2012, 17:24

That's very interesting DW, did they mention if our Cane Toad was amongst those 'glorious' creatures?
I'll be starting a cane toad farm if they are listed.

But seriously, it would make a big difference if we could overcome these antibiotic resistant bugs soon.
Most hospitals have a number of them and they are not very healthy.

:character-oldtimer:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 01 Apr 2012, 17:45

Ever so slightly related and I may have posted this before ... radium weed may cure skin cancer.
http://profncampbell.wordpress.com/2011 ... in-cancer/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFhmyqGRPEE
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 Apr 2012, 06:26

I have always been of the view we
have every substance in whatever
form here on Earth to cure all our
diseases, its a matter of discovery.
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2012, 07:27

Discovery, yes, unless we let them die out.
I dream, therefore I am.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 02 Apr 2012, 10:05

I seem to remember that Frog slime was used to eradicate warts....when I was a child!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2012, 13:05

Yes! :biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 Apr 2012, 13:18

But dreams there has always been extinction its the
way nature works, did you watch Stephen Hawkins
documentary last night, alas there is hope for this
infidel called Man.

Footnote, i cannot imagine you missed it. :wink
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Apr 2012, 14:06

Your imagination's fine, Dukey. What an amazing man with such limited physical ability. Still can't understand how his speech is produced.
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 02 Apr 2012, 16:57

Chinese medicine has been around for a long time,so guess the news re slimy frogs not surprise to the Chinese! :biggrin:
Don't start up that Toad farm just yet GF,as they're are poisonous bunch! :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 02 Apr 2012, 21:30

True, Teddy, but one man's poison is another man's cure! :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:

I had the fortune to visit Manaus in 1977 which had some 250,000 people at the time. It's now a city of 1.5 million right in the center of the Amazon jungle.
In 1977 the major employment in the district was logging, mining and a therapeutic industry. Every fourth or fifth person was involved in searching for, buying or selling newly discovered plant species for medicinal purposes.
There were people living in the jungle and only visited Manaus for supplies, emergencies or when buyers were in town. A fascinating experience which became an obsession for some researchers.
I would not be surprised if that is still an activity, but it would most likely be a dying job with the quantity of logging that has befallen the area.
Maybe one day they will find the ultimate cure for cancer. Wouldn't that be something to celebrate, hey?

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 02 Apr 2012, 21:33

GF it will be synthetic when they do
count on it. :wink
George Bernard Shaw

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 03 Apr 2012, 09:09

godfather wrote:True, Teddy, but one man's poison is another man's cure! :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:

I had the fortune to visit Manaus in 1977 which had some 250,000 people at the time. It's now a city of 1.5 million right in the center of the Amazon jungle.
In 1977 the major employment in the district was logging, mining and a therapeutic industry. Every fourth or fifth person was involved in searching for, buying or selling newly discovered plant species for medicinal purposes.
There were people living in the jungle and only visited Manaus for supplies, emergencies or when buyers were in town. A fascinating experience which became an obsession for some researchers.
I would not be surprised if that is still an activity, but it would most likely be a dying job with the quantity of logging that has befallen the area.
Maybe one day they will find the ultimate cure for cancer. Wouldn't that be something to celebrate, hey?I for one,will celebrate that GF! :biggrin:

:handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright: :handgestures-thumbsupright:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 03 Apr 2012, 20:39

Very true GD, eventually it will be synthetic and mass produced.
First you must find it in its natural state, manufacture it and test it.
Nothing can be produced until you have found the living base materials amongst all our plants and animals.
Enhancements can be made in a laboratory but I don't think that you can produce a drug on the basis of hearsay.