Black box flight recorder

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Black box flight recorder

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Apr 2012, 18:24

In 1956 a young Australian engineer, Dr David Warren of the Aeronautical Research Centre in Melbourne, produced a prototype flight recorder called the ARL Flight Memory Unit which improved on earlier models by including voice recordings of the cockpit during the flight. It was the incarnation of an idea he had outlined in a memo two years earlier. Unfortunately the Australian aviation authorities overlooked his invention and it took the British and US to develop and manufacture the device. The flight recorder (or 'black box' as it is commonly known despite being bright orange) is now standard equipment on all commercial aircraft. It has proven to be extremely valuable for investigating the causes of aeroplane crashes, not just through voice recording but also through incidental sounds captured during flight.
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Black box flight recorder

Post by godfather » 12 Apr 2012, 20:48

Yes, I knew it was an Aussie who invented the Flight Recorder, but as always we let that one go through to the wicketkeeper too!
But a great invention and very useful.

=D> =D> =D>
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 12 Apr 2012, 21:16

It was another in a long list of inventions that Australian authorities failed to recognise as worthwhile.

When I was Adjutant of Diploma Cadet Squadron, RAAF Frognall, I met Henry Millicer, the designer of the Victa Airtourer. Victa couldn't get assistance from the Federal Government to stop foreign manufacturers from "dumping" their light aircraft onto the Australian market and the design was sold to a NZ firm (Pacific Aerospace). Eventually, the renamed CT/4 Airtrainer was bought by the RAAF for pilot training ..... <sigh> doh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAC_CT/4
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 13 Apr 2012, 06:59

It would appear Australians were a little slow
on the uptake, how ever when they discovered
the value of a dollar they woke up...and got greedy,
yes very greedy. :- :- :wave :wave
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 13 Apr 2012, 07:00

Thought it was a well known fact,the Black box was an Australian invention!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Apr 2012, 08:53

While I was living in Dalby Qld., I understood a local policeman invented the Jaws of Life at that time, maybe in the 1970s, and it took off all over Australia. Now on looking it up I see it's accredited to George Hurst of California, but other people were thinking it was Australian. Perhaps our local cop was the first to use it in Aus.
I dream, therefore I am.