Earthquakes

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dawn

Earthquakes

Post by Dawn » 14 Apr 2012, 19:10

Did anybody notice the huge earthquakes yesterday? Two near Sumatra in to 8+ range and another over in South America in the same range. I am so glad I don't live in those areas somehow!

godfather
Diamond Member

Re: Earthquakes

Post by godfather » 14 Apr 2012, 21:25

I heard about the first one in Indonesia where they expected a tsunami to follow, which luckily didn't eventuate.
Nah, I wouldn't like to live in those areas either and I haven't forgotten the one we had in Newcastle a few years back.

Step carefully!

8-[ 8-[ 8-[
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 14 Apr 2012, 21:31

Believe in luck, GF? I was living in York, UK when the Newcastle earthquake happened. When I woke in the morning I heard all about it and of course i phoned my parents who were living at Kahibah at the time. Thankfully they were Ok, just a little structural damage and both were very shaken of course. The incredible thing was, that I don't know how I made the phone connection, because after that call I couldn't get through again for several days because the lines were down!

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 14 Apr 2012, 21:35

You and your parents were lucky to talk to each other that day.
It would have been shocking for you had you not been able to speak to them.

Shiver me timbers! :handgestures-thumbsupright:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 15 Apr 2012, 08:23

8.x on the Richter Scale is more than a shiver !! think-smiley

Could Charles Richter have been a distant relative Godfather?
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 15 Apr 2012, 20:38

Don, with my family anything was possible.
I still don't have the faintest clue who my father's parents were. So mate, Richter could well have been a distant relative.
And our house used to shiver like timber every time a bomb fell nearby.

:wink :wink :wink

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 15 Apr 2012, 21:30

Were records destroyed during WW2? My paternal grandmother's family were from Berlin and, by the time anyone got around to doing family trees, they reached a dead end there.
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 16 Apr 2012, 09:05

Dawn,that certainly was a miracle your phone call reached your parents.Someone I knew,told me her sister in law, who was working at he Newcastle Telephone Exchange at the time was killed.

hawkeye
Bronze Member

Post by hawkeye » 16 Apr 2012, 12:57

I did notice that 8.6 and 8.2 they called an aftershock. I expect what kept this one from casing havoc it was 20 miles down and a horizontal quake, instead of vertical. earthquakes scare me. When solid ground starts shaking, where do you go? [-o<

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 16 Apr 2012, 15:17

To the loo, in my case! :lol:

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 16 Apr 2012, 15:32

Maggs wrote:To the loo, in my case! :lol:
Before or after you needed to? :lol:

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 16 Apr 2012, 20:24

donander wrote:Were records destroyed during WW2? My paternal grandmother's family were from Berlin and, by the time anyone got around to doing family trees, they reached a dead end there.
I am not sure Don, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
My father was born in 1905 and was "given away" by his dying mother shortly after his birth. We don't even know if his name was correct and that was well before the First and Second WW.

think-smiley

Dawn

Post by Dawn » 16 Apr 2012, 20:42

Poor little child! What a harsh start in life!

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 17 Apr 2012, 14:19

OH but look at him now! Bonny Lad!

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 17 Apr 2012, 14:40

Yes, the resemblance to Marlon Brando is amazing .... oops, isn't Brando dead? :wink