Soon to come

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Soon to come

Post by Dreamweaver » 21 Apr 2012, 19:49

A politician with an eye to the future! Andrew Leigh, member for Fraser, forsees
1. Driverless cars. In California and Nevada, Google's fleet of seven self-drive Toyota Priuses have now driven more than 300,000 kilometres.

2. Space elevators. The most exciting application of laser beaming is the notion of a space elevator; the idea that robots could be powered to climb cables to orbiting satellites.

3.Nanotechnology will soon enable wearable solar cells, likely to change clothing in practical ways (for soldiers and hikers) and aesthetic ones (for fashion designers). Similarly, nanogenerators in your shoes would provide a source of power that could charge a mobile phone or power a Pacemaker. In countries where people do not have access to clean water, nanotechnology could provide a better way to purify water.

4.Data analytics can help identify trends, such the use of internet search data to give real-time information on the spread of influenza or the rate of unemployment. It can also help catch criminals, by identifying irregular transactions or behaviours

5. Machine IntelligenceDespite huge advances in computing, we're still yet to build a machine that can replicate the human brain. But at some point, it seems conceivable that we will succeed, either through artificial intelligence, or through building a machine that can emulate the brain. Economist Robin Hanson argues that when we do, it will be an economic breakthrough akin to the start of farming, or the industrial revolution.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... z1sfP4bCT0
I dream, therefore I am.

donander
Emerald Member

Re: Soon to come

Post by donander » 21 Apr 2012, 23:17

I must admit that driverless cars and space elevators worry me a little.

Driverless cars: Will we still have knock-for-knock insurance policies? Should we allow any driverless cars on the road till all cars are driverless? Are driverless cars legal?

Space Elevators: Would we need to stop all air traffic or have no-go corridors for the elevators?
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Soon to come

Post by Teddy » 22 Apr 2012, 15:44

Good to know our creator is the one who creates Brains~ :biggrin: