Australia's new cars

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Australia's new cars

Post by Dreamweaver » 25 Apr 2012, 09:21

Hybrid cars are fast becoming a real alternative for the Australian motorist.

A hybrid electric car (or petrol-electric hybrid powered car) is a car that uses electricity as well as petrol to power the motor. This makes them extremely fuel efficient so this means they are not only environmentally friendly, but also very economical on the hip pocket.

On average a hybrid car uses less than half the fuel of a 'normal' family car. Hybrid cars feel different, they are quiet, very quiet, and the engine turns itself off at traffic lights.

HybridCars do not need to be 'plugged in'! The batteries actually get charged from the kinetic energy produced by the vehicle itself.

Currently there are three hybrid cars available in Australia: The Toyota Prius, the Honda Insight and the Lexus 400h
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Re: Australia's new cars

Post by Teddy » 25 Apr 2012, 10:00

Interesting!How long have they been available DW?

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 25 Apr 2012, 10:22

Dreamweaver, Toyota has just launched the smaller Prius C (under $24,000 and approx. Yaris size); Toyota Camry is also available in hybrid form.

When we no longer need the extra ground clearance for travelling, I will have a serious look at at Camry hybrid and hope that they have been able to re-design the battery location (takes up too much boot space now). The Prius C has its batteries and fuel tank under the rear seat and I'm hoping that the new Camry will go the same way.

Teddy, Toyota has been making hybrids for about fifteen years.
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 26 Apr 2012, 17:43

Thanks Don & to think we didn't know when we :lol: bought our Toyota!