Equal, not alike.

Something that would never happen but did! This section is about all the wondrous things in our world - Wildlife Animals, World Medicine, Physics, Archaeology - things too numerous to list.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Equal, not alike.

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Jul 2012, 10:30

Treating others equally doesn't mean treating them alike. It's not being sexist to recognise differences.
Looking at non-human mammals, the female Rhesus macaque monkes produce different milk for their sons and daughters.

The boy monkeys receive a more concentrated milk, so they spend less time with their mothers, and more time playing and exploring. These skills will be useful when they leave the group.

The Rhesus macaque monkey mothers make a milk for their daughters that is less concentrated, but still provides the same nutrition because they produce more of it. As a result, the daughters have to hang around their mothers for more frequent feedings — and this helps consolidate their matrilineal society.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... _FBP%7Cabc
I dream, therefore I am.

Dawn

Re: Equal, not alike.

Post by Dawn » 13 Jul 2012, 10:58

really incredible, isn't it, DW?

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 13 Jul 2012, 19:50

That's fantastic and totally fascinating.
And it also explains why women have two boobs!

:heeheehee :heeheehee :heeheehee
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 14 Jul 2012, 08:59

So how come my two sons were so content and my two daughters did the demanding.....?

grandduke
Diamond Member

Post by grandduke » 14 Jul 2012, 13:28

Maggs baby, the feminine is the seed of creation,
now don't ask me what that means it just jumped
into my mind. :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: 8-[ 8-[
“You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’”
George Bernard Shaw

Maggs
Diamond Member

Post by Maggs » 14 Jul 2012, 13:57

Yeh! You are right....they created quite a lot, and loudly! :lol: :lol:

donander
Emerald Member

Post by donander » 14 Jul 2012, 15:31

Maggs wrote:So how come my two sons were so content and my two daughters did the demanding.....?
Maggs, the answer lies in the milk .... :wink (Apologies to Beyond Our Ken. http://archive.org/details/BeyondOurKen1958)
The last interglacial had less ice, higher sea levels, and warmer temperatures than this one. So, according to the evidence so far, human activity must have a COOLING effect.