PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN OLDER AUSTRALIANS

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN OLDER AUSTRALIANS

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Feb 2019, 18:48

APPENDIX B – SUPPORTING PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN OLDER AUSTRALIANS

What insights are available?

There is evidence that regular physical activity can minimise the physiological effects of a sedentary lifestyle and increase active life expectancy, by limiting the development and progression of chronic disease and disabling conditions.

Several evidence-based conclusions can be drawn relative to sport and physical activity in older adult populations:
  • − A combination of aerobic, resistance and flexibility activities is more effective than undertaking these activities individually.
    − It is now evident that programs do not need to be high intensity to reduce the risks of developing chronic cardiovascular and metabolic disease. However, the outcome of treatment of some established diseases and geriatric syndromes is more effective with higher-intensity exercise.
    − The acute effects of a single session of aerobic exercise are relatively short-lived, and the chronic adaptations to repeated sessions of exercise are quickly lost upon cessation of training, even in regularly active older adults.
    − The extent to which exercise can reverse age-associated physiological deterioration may depend, in part, on the hormonal status and age at which a specific intervention is initiated.
    − Exercise prescription for older adults should include aerobic exercise, muscle strengthening exercises, and flexibility exercises. [/list ]

Promoting physical activity for older adults is especially important because this population is the least physically active of any age group.

Older adults are a heterogeneous age group, and therefore require different strategies than other age groups to successfully participate in sport and physical activity. It is recommended to develop ageappropriate sporting and physical activity opportunities for older adults, so that sport can be presented as a legitimate option, with customised programs that can be modified to suit varying physical, mental and social needs.

Disease burden due to physical inactivity increased with age, particularly due to the increased occurrence of chronic conditions in later life. A recent study by AIHW identified the physical inactivity burden by linked disease of chronic conditions. In Australians age 65-84 physical inactivity dementia and stroke became an increasing contribution of attributable burden. In Australians age 85+ dementia contributed the greatest attributable burden, followed by coronary heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

A significant benefit of physical activity for retirees is social connection with other individuals, as well as engagement with the broader community. Equally, the encouragement of others to exercise with can be important in helping retirees to continue or get back into physical activity
https://activeageing.org.au/move-it-aus/
I dream, therefore I am.

Phyl.

Re: PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN OLDER AUSTRALIANS

Post by Phyl. » 03 Apr 2019, 23:20

A bit of exercise each day is for me the same necessity as having three meals. As written, no need to go crazy just consistent. I hope to still be exercising when I am an elderly lady but I have a bit of time before I reach that yet :yeah_right.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Apr 2019, 06:20

I have a FitBit that serves to remind me to keep moving. I've become more active as a result.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 04 Apr 2019, 15:26

I try to go for a longish walk every day if I can. I like to go early in the morning, before it gets too warm. But now that it's a bit cooler, I can go a bit later.
I love my walk, and have made many friends along the way. I make doggy friends as well, as they seem to know that I like them. I don't see many Cats anymore. They seem to be decreasing in numbers. Probably because our council wants them locked up as much as possible. The creeps!

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Apr 2019, 21:27

Kind people are destroying my fitness. A half hour walk to the doctor has gone down the drain since scripts are now faxed to the chemist unless I have a particular need to front up. A 15 minute walk to the chemist has gone since he is holding my scripts and delivers my medication when I need it. That shouldn't stop me from walking for pleasure, but wait, there's more. I am trying to sit less at my computer, so since I now have a lap top I can take it to where I can lie down! Better for my bad back, better for my lymphodema ankles, but forget the walking, as time evaporates! :eek
I dream, therefore I am.

godfather
Diamond Member

Post by godfather » 04 Apr 2019, 22:33

I like the following suggestion:

"Older adults are a heterogeneous age group, and therefore require different strategies than other age groups to successfully participate in sport and physical activity. It is recommended to develop ageappropriate sporting and physical activity opportunities for older adults, so that sport can be presented as a legitimate option, with customised programs that can be modified to suit varying physical, mental and social needs."

We are all individuals and the need for different programs would benefit a major proportion of the population.

As much as I used to enjoy a daily morning walk or run a few years back, I am somewhat ashamed to admit that exercise on a regular basis has become
a dirty habit. Part of my reasons are an assortment of medical issues affecting my mobility, but there are also matters of laziness that come into play when you get older. Lack of motivation and my favourite "I need sleep instead of exercise" are at the top of my agenda.

Not good enough, I know and I will act accordingly........................ one day!

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
The devil whispered, “You cannot withstand the storm“ and I replied: “I am the storm!”.....Unknown.