Pinched nerve

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Pinched nerve

Post by mavisbramston » 19 Jul 2019, 22:48

Oh damn. Its back. After a few years my pinched nerve is back.
Anyone else?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Pinched nerve

Post by Dreamweaver » 20 Jul 2019, 06:50

Chiropractors are great. These days their training and registration is far stricter than some years ago when you needed to investigate before choosing.
I dream, therefore I am.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 20 Jul 2019, 13:54

I once had a pinched nerve in my neck,causing pain in my left arm. My doctor referred me to the physio next door,and after 2 sessions of traction it was gone. It has never returned.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 21 Jul 2019, 11:20

A surgeon warned me years ago to steer clear of chiropractors. He said he got a lot of business because of them. Physio has always worked for me.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 21 Jul 2019, 22:41

Perrorist wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 11:20
A surgeon warned me years ago to steer clear of chiropractors. He said he got a lot of business because of them. Physio has always worked for me.
Same here Perry. I have Calcium spurs through out my spine, which constantly irritate my back( inoperable).
Manipulation of the spine could be devastating! :character-oldtimer: :eek

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Jul 2019, 07:02

Perrorist wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 11:20
Yes. That was so when I first turned to them, as physio wasn't working, not as advanced as now. In those days it was advisable to steer clear of Australian chiropractors and look for Doctors of Chiropractic trained in U.S.A. They always required xrays. Australian training and registration is now much advanced, but I wonder if it is equal to the American hospital trained D.C.s.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 22 Sep 2019, 15:27

I will have to do something. Had injection last time

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 22 Sep 2019, 16:49

Sorry to hear that, Mavis. I hope you can find treatment soon, as it can be very debilitating.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 22 Sep 2019, 20:04

To become a practising Chiropractor in Australia, you need to complete 5 years of study. First, complete an accredited bachelor’s degree in Health Science, followed by a two-year Master of Clinical Chiropractic.
Complete a Bachelor of Chiropractic Science.
Complete a Master of Clinical Chiropractic.
After completing your study, you need to achieve AHPRA registration via the application process, including mandatory Continued Professional Development (CPD).
Once achieved, registration must be renewed each year, demonstrating the mandatory CPD each year. CPD includes training courses and seminars which update and develop your knowledge of Chiropractic.
Very different from 1964 when I was first in trouble with my back. The GP told me they could give me something for the pain, but I would be in a wheelchair within 12 months as the osteo-arthritis was progressive and couldn't be treated. As I had a new baby and two other young ones, I felt desperate. A friend told me how a USA-trained chiropractor had helped her, but warned me off Australian ones.
When I went to this man (he was the son-in-law of Melbourne's Mayor!) he was astounded that a GP could say that. He explained that if a hose gets a kink it can stop functioning, it can get a crack there that the water will seep or spurt out. It simply can't function. But when it's straightened out it will function again, if not perfectly, as the crack will still be there - the osteo-arthritis is not cured, but not as limiting, and the pain is relieved.

Since then my family has benefited greatly too. No.1 son, nerves from spine to lungs have been relieved, curing teen-age asthma. No.1 daughter, nerves from spine to knee and stomach have been relieved, curing teen-age knee collapse and vomiting spells. No.2 daughter, neck injury following accident not responding to physio treatment, completely cured. And so on.

I used to have annual appointments to keep in shape, but they said at my age not to expect a cure, but to come only when in pain, as that can be quickly relieved. That only happens now, rarely, if I overdo something.
:twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.