Muscle in on health

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Muscle in on health

Post by Dreamweaver »

Muscle loss can cause a range of health problems as we age, but it can be prevented.
What do you do to help your muscles?

https://theconversation.com/muscle-loss ... ted-147882
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Muscle in on health

Post by Perrorist »

I've noticed the loss of both muscle mass and strength. I also have osteoporosis, which runs in our family. I'm a goner for sure.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver »

Sure it has to happen with aging, but I was surprised how much it affects other conditions. Our parents with the best of intentions waited hand and foot on their elderly people, thus hastening their decline.I use a walker, but am steadfastly rejecting a mobile chair - I need the exercise.
Daily living even with some limit to activity can do so much for seniors than those previous elderly had. I do as much as I can for myself.
In the retirement home where I am, my table-mates include a 92 and a 93 year old lady. Also here a 95 yr. old man, who without dependence on his walker does some gardening here. He also is free of dementia, which so many here have to some degree - mainly those whose main pastime is being in front of the tv screen. Passive. Computer games would at least keep their brains active, but I see that physical exercise is a big factor. Not really new news!
Mens sana in corpore sano
is a Latin phrase, usually translated as "a healthy mind in a healthy body".
The phrase is widely used in sporting and educational contexts to express the theory that physical exercise is an important or essential part of mental and psychological well-being.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist »

Exercise is essential. I have a Fitbit watch and use it to keep track of how much walking I'm doing. If it looks as if I'm not going to meet my target, I get on the treadmill.