Eye test predicts Alzheimers?

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
Perrorist
Administrator

Eye test predicts Alzheimers?

Post by Perrorist » 11 Nov 2016, 18:06

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Eye test predicts Alzheimers?

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Nov 2016, 23:21

Yes. If people stop being in denial and face up to the possibility, they will see there's no more reason to fear it than any other degenerative disease. Doctors have brushed it aside because it progresses so lowly, there's no cure, people often have normal forgetfulness, etc, so why make a patient's life miserable. But early detection is the best hope for treatment.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Nov 2016, 21:25

More good news-
Extensive plaques and tangles in the brain result in the death of neurons and are an indicator of Alzheimer's dementia. The fact that some elderly with the pathology still had superior memory points to mechanisms that protect their neurons and memory.

Discovery of these mechanisms is likely to help the development of therapies against Alzheimer's disease, Geula said.

"Now we have to search for factors that protect these elderly against memory loss," Geula said. "We will look at genetic, dietary and environmental influences that could confer protection for neurons against Alzheimer's pathology."

If scientists can find a protective environmental factor, it could help the normal elderly and those with the Alzheimer's pathology, Geula said.

A number of recent studies suggest some elderly individuals harbor extensive Alzheimer pathology in the brain without any evidence of the cognitive decline seen in Alzheimer's disease
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 132813.htm
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 18 Nov 2016, 21:30

And here's a game to play!

http://www.seaheroquest.com/en
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 23 Nov 2016, 21:21

In a recent paper in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, UTMB's research team detailed their investigation on the relationship between inflammation, toxic tau and Alzheimer's onset by performing systematic analyses of brain and retina samples from people with Alzheimer's and a mouse model of Alzheimer's.

The results demonstrated that the toxic tau may induce inflammation in Alzheimer's. The toxic tau spreads between connected brain regions, which may initiate inflammation in these new regions. This situation can create a cycle of toxic tau, inflammation and cell death throughout the brain over time.

Beyond determining eye health and corrective lens prescriptions, having an eye exam can alert health care professionals of several different health conditions including diabetic complications, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Now, UTMB researchers found that retina tissue that they studied can show evidence of toxic tau and inflammation.
What To Remember Most About This Article:

Brain fog may be a familiar feeling. If you've ever had difficulty concentrating, struggled with poor memory, stammered when speaking, or noticed yourself processing information more slowly, you may have had a case of brain fog.

Brain fog is otherwise known as a "leaky brain," or a sign of inflammation in the body. Inflammatory messages may be released in the brain as a result of head trauma, unregulated blood sugar, poor circulation, an inflamed gut, or chemical sensitivity.

Use these 4 tips to alleviate recurrent brain fog and take control of chronic inflammation:

Get enough sleep at night and address mental and emotional stress. Stress and sleep deprivation make it harder for the body to fight off inflammation.
Take your blood sugar seriously. It's never recommended to skip meals or binge on sugar, which can trigger spikes in blood sugar and the release of pro-inflammatory stress hormones. Use naturally sugar-free stevia for a sugar craving instead.
Eliminate low-grade infection. Sugar binges will also feed low-grade infections like Candida and bacterial overgrowth in the body and release pro-inflammatory messages. Fight infection naturally with fermented foods and probiotic beverages on The Body Ecology Diet.
Cleanse environmental toxins. You can use LivAmend to support detoxification and shield the body from the burden of environmental pollutants and chemicals.
http://bodyecology.com/articles/4-steps ... flammation
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 12 Aug 2017, 21:22

Challenges to the brain are what we need, which include things other than mental challenges!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Aug 2017, 07:49

Very interesting talk. I think we need to provide diet plans and begin exercise classes for our members.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Aug 2017, 10:23

:lol:
Trouble is, research is so fast now that we can't keep up with it, recommendations keep changing. That applies to exercise as much as diet - the main thing seems to be to keep moving, regardless of type. Interrupt your sitting frequently. :icon_biggrin:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Aug 2017, 12:25

Agree. Try to keep moving.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 13 Aug 2017, 19:58

Take a tip from PM trumble in that new ABC show The House (parliament house)
'Sitting is the new smoking' he tells Annabel Crabb.