Anti vaccination

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Anti vaccination

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Apr 2018, 11:35

I give up. I have found the most agressive people on facebook are the anti vaccination people. Even if you politely challenge them they attack you with venom. Really over the top.
Ok I will be polite but please help me understand this. Is there anyone here who is anti vaccination. WHY...?..

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Anti vaccination

Post by kfchugo » 24 Apr 2018, 11:59

I think we have had this discussion before, Mavis. I am not "anti-vaccination", but I am against compulsory vaccination. Whether you believe the stories or not, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that in SOME instances, SOME vaccinations can have harmful side effects. I would personally encourage everyone to have their kids vaccinated but consider it morally wrong to force vaccination on anyone who does not want it.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 24 Apr 2018, 12:12

I think you are correct Kfhugo. I thought it might be worth bringing itup again because the anti vax people are really getting very heated in fb and other social media. I find silver peers more friendly and rational. I wont attack you but unless its compulsory for all I have issues with that. Parents denying their kids vaccination seems like child abuse to me.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 24 Apr 2018, 12:33

I had my flu jab this morning. As I've said before, I believe vaccinations should be compulsory except where it would be harmful or impracticable to do so. We need to aim for complete herd immunity against harmful diseases.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 24 Apr 2018, 14:40

\
For the sake of other children, I believe every child should be vaccinated. If they start an epidemic in the school they are to attend, it would be awful.
As a child I caught every damn disease going. Chicken Pox, Measles, Mumps etc., because we were not vaccinated. It was not good!
The FLU is especially bad, I had that when I was 8 years old, and I can still remember how sick and miserable I was. Many people can die from it, and have died over the years.
We rang to make an appointment for a flu shot the other day, and were told it was NOT AVAILABLE for another month. This is not good enough!

8-[

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 24 Apr 2018, 15:23

The problem is that we never know how an individual will react to any particular vaccine - one could take say a polio vaccine with no ill effects but then react violently to a measles or flu vaccine. How do you think a parent would react if their child was FORCED to take a vaccine that subsequently killed him/her or left them intellectually disabled? I dont believe that there is a mechanism in place to even claim compensation in such cases......the drug companies would deny responsibility. Sure a 100% vaccination rate is the ideal, but NOT at the expense of personal freedom.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 24 Apr 2018, 17:23

I've tried to find out if someone who's vaccinated can still carry and pass on a disease. Does anyone know for sure? It seems highly probable to me.

I'm all for freedom of choice.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 24 Apr 2018, 21:12

There's a risk with any vaccine, but that risk must be weighed against the overall benefit to others.

Lynny, vaccines can lose their efficacy over time. I was told this morning that the flu vaccine only lasts about three months. So I may be vulnerable come October, which was when last year the epidemic got really bad.

Vaccines may not be effective to start with. Individuals have different immune systems. So one person will be 100% protected, while another may only be 80%. If you're vaccinated and happen to still be a carrier, it's theoretically possible to pass on the disease, but most unlikely in practice. My wife's a TB carrier but she's not contagious.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 24 Apr 2018, 22:37

I think there is a flaw in your logic, Perry. It is immoral and unethical to force something on an individual just because in MAY benefit others.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 24 Apr 2018, 22:41

Thanks Perri

Yes, my doctor told me to wait until I see her in mid May for my flu shot. I reckon my pneumonia shot will have worn off by then too as it must be 3 yrs since I had one and she says that's as long as they last. I've decided in my aged wisdom that I don't ever want to have anything nasty ever again. :lol:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Apr 2018, 22:47

I was vaccinated for small pox as a child, part of the successful strategy to eradicate it.

Some diseases have already been eliminated from large regions of the world, and/or are currently being targeted for regional elimination.
This is sometimes described as "eradication", although technically the term only applies when this is achieved on a global scale

1 Eradicated diseases
1.1 Smallpox
1.2 Rinderpest

2 Global eradication underway
2.1 Poliomyelitis (polio)
2.2 Dracunculiasis
2.3 Yaws
2.4 Malaria

3 Regional elimination established or under way
3.1 Hookworm
3.2 Lymphatic filariasis
3.3 Measles
3.4 Rubella
3.5 Onchocerciasis
3.6 Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and new variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (vCJD)
3.7 Syphilis
3.8 Rabies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eradicati ... s_diseases
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 25 Apr 2018, 06:10

kfchugo wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 22:37
I think there is a flaw in your logic, Perry. It is immoral and unethical to force something on an individual just because in MAY benefit others.
There's no MAY about it. It does benefit society.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 25 Apr 2018, 06:56

I think that is debatable, but it certainly MAY NOT benefit the individual.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 25 Apr 2018, 11:16

Before rejecting vaccination a parent should be properly informed and should have something more behind the decision than that something might go wrong. It is a balancing act. Something can go wrong when a child contracts measles. Complications range from vomiting and diarrhoea to life threatening meningitis and encephalitis. If the risk of having the vaccination is worse than the risk of having the disease, then it make sense to refuse and take the lesser risk. However, the balance is almost invariably the other way round.

Some parents refuse vaccinations believing that their careful parenting and healthy diet will protect their little ones. They are misguided. By refusing the children access to child care the parents have to decide their priorities. It also reminds those parents who don't bother to complete vaccination programs that they must sort things out.

Vaccinations are not compulsory. No-one forces a needle into anyone's arm but in the interests of public health there are some strong incentives to make sure that children are protected.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 26 Apr 2018, 11:30

For those people that protest against flu vaccinations.... cast your memory back to 1918 when the Flu killed between 50 to 100 million people world wide !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

That's right !.... more than 50 million people and that's a BIG number !
so.... get a bloody life and stop your whinging ! :twocents-mytwocents:

maybe if the government charged a thousand bucks per shot, the "anti vax" idiots would be lining up for it and demanding it ! :character-oldtimer:
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".