STEPHEN HAWKING

Air all your daily pleasures and solve the World's problems over a cuppa of your favourite beverage.
Please note, no alcohol until after midday!

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

lynny
Diamond Member

STEPHEN HAWKING

Post by lynny » 15 Mar 2018, 10:33

191D2882-5D32-43C8-966A-E0CB5309F0A0.jpeg

RIP Stephen Hawking
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: STEPHEN HAWKING

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Mar 2018, 11:20

:happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 15 Mar 2018, 12:40

He wont need that wheelchair anymore!

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 15 Mar 2018, 14:13

A beautiful cartoon on Twitter this morning,but I can't find it now. It shows Hawking arriving in heaven and rising from his chair. Albert Einstein is approaching him saying,"We have some things to talk about."
Just imagine some of the conversations they could have.
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Mar 2018, 15:40

I cant remember the exact wording but there was a famous quote by Hawking along the lines of "The afterlife was invented by people who are afraid of the dark". I think his suffering is over and he is at peace with his universe.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Mar 2018, 15:46

There was a tweet this morning, purportedly from God, saying, "It's only been a few hours and Stephen Hawking has already mathematically proved, to My face, that I don't exist."

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 16 Mar 2018, 11:02

He was married & divorced twice & left 3 children. While still married to his first wife in 1985 in Switzerland, he became ill with pneumonia, when he went into a coma,Drs' contacted his wife wanting to turn off his life support, she objected, demanding he be sent home immediately. Originally while still married to his first wife, he wouldn't accept outside help, so as well as looking after their 3 children, she had to look after her husband as well She was married to him for 30 years & was a Christian!

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 17 Mar 2018, 14:43

kfchugo wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 15:40
... a famous quote by Hawking along the lines of "The afterlife was invented by people who are afraid of the dark".
He is as entitled to an opinion on the subject of religious belief as any one else, including members of this forum, but it does lie outside his field of expertise. He also said that a creator is unnecessary in his narrative of the origin of matter and energy i.e. The Big Bang. It is a logical truism that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" so the door is still open for the possibility that there is a spirit of creativity influencing our universe.

The Big Bang is a well established theory and as the cosmos continues reveal its secrets as technology advances I wouldn't hesitate to say that it is likely to be mostly accurate as an account of the beginning of time and space as we know it. There will be some reshaping of the theory as further evidence is discovered. We still don't know what dark matter and dark energy actually are but we do know that something must be there that is yet unseen and unexamined. The absence of evidence in not evidence of absence.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Mar 2018, 17:32

=D= Warrigal =D=
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 17 Mar 2018, 17:47

He also had a wicked sense of humour.... such as this famous quote:

Dr. Stephen Hawking:
"What do Sheldon Cooper and a black hole have in common? They both suck! Neener, neener, neener! "

(Sheldon is the famous anal retentive nerd on "The Big Bang Theory")
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Mar 2018, 18:03

"The absence of evidence in not evidence of absence." But all that says is anything's possible.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Mar 2018, 20:10

Perrorist wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 18:03
"The absence of evidence in not evidence of absence." But all that says is anything's possible.
"..so the door is still open for the possibility that there is a spirit of creativity influencing our universe."
:lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Mar 2018, 20:37

But there's no more evidence for it than there is for a 12-metre tall yeti living at the top of Mt Everest.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Mar 2018, 20:43

The problem with having a completely open mind is that you're receptive to any idea no matter how absurd. Exercising discernment is a sign of intelligence. (No offence intended.)

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Mar 2018, 22:04

None taken, Perry. I would partly agree with you. "Receptive to any idea no matter how absurd." That is not to say "accepting of any idea no matter how absurd", and also depends on the criteria each holds for absurdity. Isn't quantum theory absurd?

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. - Socrates
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance. - Confucius
Acquaint yourself with your own ignorance. - Isaac Watts
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is knowledge of our own ignorance.- Benjamin Franklin
etc, etc.

My attitude is to accept what seems to be the most reasonable hypothesis as an hypothesis, to be discarded if something more reasonable comes along. I am not any sort of scientist, but do put a lot of trust in scientific understanding, and I hope I have some level of discernment. I also believe science has not yet uncovered all knowledge. I am not for black and white judgments that profess to know 'the truth', but we are all individuals. As much as I dislike dogmatism, I admit to it in certain fields. I have my own fixed ideas of right and wrong, for instance. While not being sexist or racist, I freely admit to being 'culturist', if there is such a word - I believe some cultures are better than others.

But don't we each and all believe we are reasonable, even the craziest of us?
I dream, therefore I am.