Gmail problem

Information, discussions, warnings, and friendly assistance with all your computer-related problems.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Gmail problem

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Feb 2018, 13:32

My address is all lower case with a dot. Someone in USA has the same with an uppercase letter , no dot. I was getting receipts and downloads meant for them, so I notified them and the sender. Then I found their address on my screen as belonging to me! I thought they must have changed their address to a new one, but have just received another receipt and download! I don't want to delete their address (which my gmail recognises as me) if they are going to lose it, and their downloads which have cost them good money.

On the gmail forum there are 2 or 3 others who are having similar experiences, but all replies just repeat the blurb from the help sites, which aren't wonderfully helpful.:teary
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Gmail problem

Post by Perrorist » 10 Feb 2018, 16:12

That's weird. The addresses are different - every character should be significant including the dot, but upper and lower case are almost always treated as identical. Someone at Gmail has stuffed up by the sounds of it.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 10 Feb 2018, 20:14

The downloads I am mistakenly receiving are educational stuff for a middle-school child, $50 a pop. The initial one was probably a mis-typed address, which I can understand. But now my system is recognising her address as mine. In spite of all their assurances I am still getting her mail, though addressed as it should be.

Their forum has now emailed me
Thanks for posting on the Gmail help forum.

Gmail ignores the period in an email address, just as it ignores capital letters.

For example, "myname @gmail.com" is the same as "my.name @gmail.com" is the same as "MY.name @gmail.com" as is "MYNAME @gmail.com". (etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.)

Once you have created an email address, no one else can create that address, despite how many combinations of CaPitaLs and periods(.) they chose to use. That account is yours, and yours alone.

Despite what you may think, no one else has your account name, no matter what combination of capitals and/or periods are used.

If in doubt, sign in with the offending combination/s. You will gain access to your account.

Likewise @gmail.com is the same as @googlemail.com

No one else is receiving your emails or able to access your account this way, unless of course your account has been compromised.

What probably has happened is that someone has given your email address in error (or malice) to a web site; much as the wrong address on snail mail; or dialling the wrong number. A lot of web sites never verify email addresses. Facebook, for example.

If you wish you can advise the sender of the offending mail and point out the error, and they can contact the other party who may have given the wrong address, if they can be bothered; many don't care, unfortunately!

For a full explanation of how Gmail treats your address, read this. And watch this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5-N8c18VE

Another full explanation in this excellent blog. And this blog as well.

Gmail filters will recognise the "period" and you can filter on the wrong address (with or without the "period") if needed https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en

Come back if you need more assistance!
8-[ Yes, I'm going back.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 10 Feb 2018, 20:39

That's ludicrous. The period should not be ignored. Poor design, Mr Gmail.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Post by terra » 11 Feb 2018, 11:11

Easy fix.... get rid of gmail and open a new account with Thunderbird email client.
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 11 Feb 2018, 18:23

Will do, terra
:text-thankyou:
I dream, therefore I am.

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 13 Feb 2018, 10:13

Couple Thunderbird with the free version of Mailwasher and your problems will be over.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 14 Feb 2018, 08:29

:happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Mar 2018, 17:19

terra wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 11:11
Easy fix.... get rid of gmail and open a new account with Thunderbird email client.
When I looked at Thunderbird (which I had used ages ago when I was with Firefox) I saw that Firefox was no longer supporting it, and mentioned 3 good alternatives.
https://www.getmailbird.com/the-best-mo ... r-windows/

I plumped for one, Mailbird, a Windows program. Mailbird lite is free, another version has monthly payments, and another is a one off payment for life of $56, which I went for. I think I have made a big mistake! They take over your existing email account (or accounts) and present them all in an easy to manage fashion. But I want to abandon gmail, not have it redirected. Seems I still need a different email account! Am I not understanding?

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best ... ail-client
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 16 Mar 2018, 18:42

I certainly recommend not using Gmail. I haven't tried Opera Mail, and it's development has been neglected of late, but it might be worth giving it a go if all you want is a simple mail client.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 16 Mar 2018, 19:27

:icon_biggrin:
:text-thankyou:
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 17 Mar 2018, 13:02

Opera it is. I downloaded it yesterday and it seems to be installed, yet before I can extract it I am warned
The server’s certificate chain is incomplete, and the signers are not registered.
Accept?
Server name: pop.gmail.com
I read it isn't good to accept, and how come gmail is mentioned? I must have clicked something wrong!
Thought I might have done the wrong thing selecting POP rather than IMAC.
I uninstalled it, though the download is still there. Turned the machine off and went to bed, and tried again today.

No option offered now of POP or IMAC! Download came in but then I got a Windows Defender notice which tells me
SmartScreen can’t be reached right now
Check your internet connection. Windows Defender SmartScreen in unreachable and can’t help you decide if this app is ok to run.
Publisher: Opera Software ASA
App:Opera-Mail-10-1044.i386 (4).exe
If there's something wrong with pop.gmail.com can I still use it but change it somehow to IMAC, or is that irrelevant?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 17 Mar 2018, 14:31

It does seem like that program uses gmail, in which case, don't use it. Do you have Outlook?

terra
Silver Member

Post by terra » 19 Mar 2018, 11:43

DW.... you said that Thunderbird is no longer supported. That's weird because I get regular updates from Thunderbird.... the last one just a few days ago..
My favourite tech support site also recommends Thunderbird as the best in its opinion. This link shows a post from "Midnite Cowboy" ( administrator) just six days ago and it confirms everything I've said.

"On top of that, the product is more secure than Outlook Express and, unlike the latter, is still being actively developed."

https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... erbird.htm

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 19 Mar 2018, 20:24

Terra, it seems Firefox withdrew support, but that was a while ago, and there have been further developments since then. Hard to keep up with the pace of change for old birds like me! :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.