Shingles

Strictly health issues. Anything that helps us stay healthy or affects us personally.
Perrorist
Administrator

Shingles

Post by Perrorist » 05 May 2018, 09:13

My daughter has shingles again. The last time, she spent 12 days in hospital. We're hoping this time that because of an early diagnosis and start of treatment, she'll avoid anything as drastic. It's on her face: around her left eye and in her left ear.

When I mentioned there was a vaccine she could have had, she was surprised. She'd never heard of it.

For anyone in their 70s, it's free; otherwise it's $200 or more. Worth having, regardless. We become increasing susceptible to the virus as we get older.

terra
Silver Member
Location: South-Eastern foothills of Mt. Gingenbullen, Southern Highlands NSW

Re: Shingles

Post by terra » 05 May 2018, 11:03

I feel for her Perry. :bear_hug
Is she a young person ?.. how many times has she had shingles before ?...
as you may recall from one of my older posts here, , I had scalp shingles about two years ago and it was a terrible painful thing that hit me so badly.... and I still have a tender and sensitive area left on one side of my head that will never go away despite a few courses of Lyrica. I think it's called post neuralgia.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/160253.php
....and yes, shingles is preventable but only if you have the vaccine shot.
I have indeed had that injection so I will never get shingles again.
I'm so smart in hindsight !
"Life's too short to drink cheap wine".

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 05 May 2018, 14:14

I copped a dose of shingles last year and now my Dr has me earmarked for the injection at the end of this year - surprising how so many people are unaware of this injection - I certainly knew nothing about it
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 05 May 2018, 15:43

I had shingles about three years ago. I was offered the shot but I was still experiencing some itching in my armpit, so I declined. However, I'll be asking the doc on my next visit for a vaccination.

My daughter is 43. Her last attack must have been around 12 years ago. She's been going through a stressful time recently after nominating for the NSW senate vacancy. Stress apparently is a factor in lowering your immunity.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 May 2018, 23:52

This could be a help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu4BWF-jC0

There are a few natural treatments too that Dr Google can tell you about. Many recommend pure organic honey. Some advice from https://articles.mercola.com/shingles.aspx
A Sweet Way to Treat Shingles

If you're currently struggling with shingles, it is best to avoid the prescription drug route. Normally, physicians prescribe drugs to help treat herpes outbreaks, but oftentimes, medications are followed by adverse effects.

Natural strategies like applying honey on the affected area have proven to be effective against shingles, along with other herpes infections. This sweet food has been used as conventional treatment for infection up until the early 20th century, when penicillin was introduced.

However, not all types of honey are successful in suppressing infections. Some varieties have 100 times more potent antibacterial activity, while others contribute to the spread of microbes. I strongly advise you to avoid processed, refined honey found at most grocery stores, as it will only worsen your infection – whether consumed or applied topically.

On the other hand, raw honey has been approved for medical use because of its healing properties. High-quality raw honey is beneficial in treating wounds because it draws fluid away from the wound and has high sugar content that inhibits the growth of harmful microorganisms.

Bees also secrete a special enzyme called glucose oxidase, which causes honey to produce low levels of hydrogen peroxide when it comes into contact with your wound.

Manuka honey, a high-quality variety that originated from New Zealand, has all of these wound-healing properties, along with antimicrobial qualities. Clinical trials have found that Manuka honey, produced from the pollen gathered from flowers of the Manuka bush, can eliminate up to 250 strains of bacteria – including antibiotic-resistant ones like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

I recommend applying Manuka honey in semifluid form directly to the affected area at least four times a day. The goal is to keep the sores constantly bathed in honey.

In addition to honey, here are other natural remedies that work well in treating herpes infections:

Manuka HoneyLysine (an essential amino acid)
Vitamin C
Aloe vera
Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis)
Resveratrol
Garlic
Lactoferrin (an antimicrobial protein found in colostrum)
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 06 May 2018, 07:02

Just turned 70, so I will be organising both the shingles and flu shots this week

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 09 Jun 2018, 09:18

Got my shingles jab yesterday!
I had no idea you could get one.......and for free now if you're over 70.
Thanks to this post for the heads up. Now I have a new lease on life from my new hip it doesn't include having shingles! :icon_biggrin:

I do hope your daughter is recovering well by now Perri

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 09 Jun 2018, 11:31

Thanks, Lynny. My daughter is getting better after a week in bed. She also got second place on the Greens ticket for the upper house in NSW. I think that helped her recovery quite a bit!

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 10 Jun 2018, 08:21

That IS good news Perri ! :icon_biggrin:

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 10 Jun 2018, 20:55

I had no idea about a vaccine for shingles. Thank you for this informative thread everyone