Bravo Ireland

Major issues which will affect Australia and the World

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Bravo Ireland

Post by mavisbramston » 27 May 2018, 11:31

It has become impossible to tell jokes about Ireland now. Congratulations to shamrock people on the vote for abortion.
Its hard to believe this is still even an issue. Its a womans right...simple.
No woman wants to have an abortion but there are times it is the only decision.
Years ago I took a very disturbed upset lady I knew to an abortion clinic in Melbourne. She had made her difficult decision and she had no choice. We were greeted by anti abortion protesters who called her things like killer murderer. She was crying and really shaking in fear.
The hate of anti abortion people disgusts me.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Bravo Ireland

Post by Perrorist » 27 May 2018, 13:09

They're a strange lot, those anti-abortionists. It's taken a long time for Ireland to come to terms with the modern world, though I see that the DUP in Ulster is still resolute in keeping abortion illegal.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 27 May 2018, 13:13

I had three children, a more than finished family I thought. The marriage was a bit of a nightmare, and I was confronted with a change of life pregnancy. I pleaded with the doctor for a termination, but was refused. That child I believe was sent to me to save my marriage. An accident to her, caused by drunken husband, caused him to give up drinking, and life changed. We remained together for the rest of his life.

Despite that I do agree, Mavis, that only the woman has the right to decide.
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 27 May 2018, 13:22

Strange that in Ireland in the 'Trouble" times, peacemakers looked for any point where the North and South (Catholic and Protestant) could agree. They found it in anti-abortion, and worked from there to establish other points of agreement, and eventually peace.
I dream, therefore I am.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 27 May 2018, 15:04

At the moment abortion was only allowed if the mothers life was at risk but not in the case of rape or incest which in itself is disgusting in my view, it is traumatic enough being raped or having incest committed against you without having to give birth as a result of those actions.

Well done Ireland I am proud of you.
A rose by any other name...............

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 27 May 2018, 15:55

Betty thank you for sharing that. It took courage and I think you speak for many. Not any women I know enter onto abortion without much thought

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 27 May 2018, 16:41

You are welcome Mavis.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 27 May 2018, 16:49

At last........ =D=

Well said Betty.

Betty
Bronze Member

Post by Betty » 27 May 2018, 17:12

Thankyou Lynny.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 28 May 2018, 09:22

I too am very happy for the Women of Ireland.
However wouldn't it solve the problem in a lot of cases, if the women were allowed to use contraception.???? As far as I know you cannot buy them in that country.
I had 2 children and was in and out of hospital for months at a time during the pregnancies.
The third one was terrible. I had to have my appendix out at 8 months. After, the doctor told me I should NEVER have another child.

I went to my usual chemist, and found that my ex-husband had told him NOT to sell them to me. The chemist being a staunch catholic, and my husband being the same, I had to change doctors and chemists and do my own thing. It was the end of the marriage, which had never been a happy one because of his bullying. The local priest then told Him to get me pregnant so I couldn't leave the marriage. He tried to destroy my Pills. He was also violent.
As it is our bodies that are being used to produce babies, I think we have the right to decide???
As it turned out, it was a good thing, because I left, got a divorce and then met my present lovely husband. We have been together for 42years now.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 28 May 2018, 09:33

ANY initiative that puts power back into the hands of the people MUST be a good thing. Civilisation inevitably means government, laws, rules, regulations, taxes etc but modern man has allowed himself to be overgoverned and has surrendered a great deal of his civil liberties and rights in the interest of "safety" which no government can really guarantee.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 28 May 2018, 19:04

Trishia :text-thankyou:
:bear_hug
I dream, therefore I am.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 29 May 2018, 19:02

Dreamweaver, a big hug back at you! :bear_hug
I felt better for having got that bit of the past off my mind.
Some of my friends copped the same treatment from husbands and the clergy.
It's time these Men took a good look at themselves.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 30 May 2018, 10:02

Tricia I think we are all grateful to you for sharing.
I am quite proud to be what that other site called a snag.
I believe it is through the feminist movement that many of us became better men. I regret somemen missed the boat.
I dont give a stuff if some men think it odd at parties I ratherchat with women rather than play billiards with the blokes. Proving my cliche masculinity. is tiresome.
Its ghastly men had and sadly some have power over their wives. I learned to embrace equality.
Abortion is quite simply a womans choice.
In an era of contraception we should not need abortion but we do.
Tricia you remain a remarkable strong woman.
Women please wear purple with pride.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 30 May 2018, 15:14

If only Brexit had been run like Ireland’s referendum
Fintan O'Toole
A brave experiment in trusting the people helped defeat tribalism and fake ‘facts’
If the right failed spectacularly in Ireland, it was not for want of trying. Save the 8th, one of the two main groups campaigning against the removal of the anti-abortion clause from the Irish constitution, hired Vote Leave’s technical director, the Cambridge Analytica alumnus Thomas Borwick.

Save the 8th and the other anti-repeal campaign, Love Both, used apps developed by a US-based company, Political Social Media (PSM), which worked on both the Brexit and Trump campaigns. The small print told those using the apps that their data could be shared with other PSM clients, including the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and Vote Leave.
Q&A
Abortion in Ireland – what happens next?

Finally, the old feminist slogan that the personal is political holds true, but it also works the other way around. The political has to be personalised. The greatest human immune system against the viruses of hysteria, hatred and lies is storytelling. Even when we don’t trust politicians or experts, we trust people telling their own tales. We trust ourselves to judge whether they are lying or being truthful. Irish women had to go out and tell their own stories, to make the painful and intimate into public property.

This is very hard to do, and it should not be necessary. But is unstoppably powerful. The process mattered, political leadership mattered, campaigning mattered. But it was stories that won. Exit polls showed that by far the biggest factors in determining how people voted were “people’s personal stories that were told to the media”, followed by “the experience of someone who they know”.

Women, in the intimate circles of family and friends or in the harsh light of TV studios, said: “This is who I am. I am one of you.” And voters responded: “Yes, you are.” If democracy can create the context for that humane exchange to happen over and over again, it can withstand everything its enemies throw at it.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ing-people
I dream, therefore I am.