Sydney

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Sydney

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Dec 2018, 10:12

I have not been to Sydney in over thirty years.
I am really loving it. While I love My Melbourne I must say we can never compete with that glorious harbour.
By complete accident came across the Queen Victoria building. What a gem!
Had Christmas day on the harbour on a yacht cruise. They called it a yacht but it was huge. Wonderful! Not cheap but cheaper than other over priced lunches we have had at Christmas.
Service was outstanding considering how packed it was. It did not feel crammed though. Plenty of space.
Sydney is over populated. Like Melbourne no dea how that can be fixed.
However the ferries trains and even buses are most impressive.
Any one else fromSydney? Any tips for new yearseve. Some restaurants on harbour are charging $900. . Sorry no way.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 30 Dec 2018, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

Slapsy

Re: Sydney

Post by Slapsy » 29 Dec 2018, 14:41

The place I would recommend is the top floor of the Holiday Inn,in The Rocks. Probably a bit late now though. Nothing is cheap in Sydney at any time Mavis,particularly New Years Eve. :happy-sunshine: :happy-sunshine:

The best spot to watch the fireworks is in front of a big screen TV. :icon_biggrin: :lol:
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 30 Dec 2018, 00:28

On Monday I am taking a friend from the Philippines on a tour of Sydney. We will start with a ride on a ferry, or perhaps the Captain Cook hop on/hop off boat to see the harbour. We will take a Sydney Explorer bus on another day to see the city and perhaps do some shopping. I cannot let her leave Australia without seeing the best parts of my city.
If Bill doesn't BackTheBill, then don't back Bill - Gosford Anglican Church noticeboard.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 30 Dec 2018, 05:41

Apart from driving through it to get to the airport, I've not been near the place for 10 years. I'm more than happy staying away, as I've become a country bumpkin living on the Central Coast with its leisurely approach to life.

Banjo nailed it:

"I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy
Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall,
And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city
Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all

And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle
Of the tramways and the 'buses making hurry down the street,
And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting,
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.

And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me
As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste,
With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy,
For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste.
"

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 30 Dec 2018, 12:02

I lovejust wandering around Sydney. No tourity plans just delightful surprises.
The David Jones Christmas windows were apparently comtroversial. They were Victorian style, clock work figures from a more gentle time. I loved them.
Maybe more appealing to us adults who love nostalgia.
Melbournes iconic windows now seem to be about Christmas book promotions rather than classi stories like Peter Pan.

Slapsy

Post by Slapsy » 30 Dec 2018, 15:09

Did you check out the site of the old Tivoli theatre Mavis on Castlereagh St.? :icon_razz:
The punters know that the horse called Morality rarely gets past the post,whereas the nag called Self-interest always runs a good race. ..... Gough Whitlam 19/10/89

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Jan 2019, 11:16

I decided we would stay in and watch fireworks on tv. We had no idea we would be able to see them from our hotel balcony. Absolutely stunning.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 02 Jan 2019, 19:00

I really loved Hyde park and although depressing the barracks were most interesting. Funny I have travelled the world but seen so little of my own country.