Pill testing

Health, schooling, environmental, religious matters. Anything related to our farmers, miners, fishermen, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Perrorist
Administrator

Pill testing

Post by Perrorist » 03 Jan 2019, 20:56

I'm all in favour of this, but politicians seem afraid to endorse it despite the evidence: Guide to Pill Testing

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: Pill testing

Post by kfchugo » 03 Jan 2019, 21:00

Yes, our politicians will let our misguided youth die to make a political point. There can be no doubt that pill testing SAVES LIVES. :flaming_mad

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 03 Jan 2019, 21:06

A few deaths is a good deterrent to the other dumbass maggots who consider taking drugs.
We need a president duterte to shoot all ice dealers and ice addicts on the spot. :character-oldtimer:

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 03 Jan 2019, 22:16

My instincts are telling me that pill testing under these circumstances is not the panacea that some hope it is.
What will happen when someone has a pill tested, takes it or a similar one and then has an adverse reaction and dies?
Who will be responsible? Who will get sued? Not the drug pushers, I'll be bound.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Jan 2019, 01:19

According to the blurb
Dr Caldicott said this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how pill testing works.

"You will not be told at any stage that your drug is safe," he said.

Prior to the testing process, each person is advised (and required to sign a legal waiver confirming they understand) the test does not provide evidence of drug purity, safety, dosage, or information about how they will individually respond to the substance being tested.

"We advise people that it's not a medical consult … we don't know enough about them to tell them whether it is safe for them or not," Dr Caldicott said.
I dream, therefore I am.

Mahalia
Moderator (Bronze Member)

Post by Mahalia » 04 Jan 2019, 17:14

That being the case what is the sense in doing it???? I' have often considered stupidity to be Mother Natures natural method of culling the weak from our society :text-imsorry: Personally, I have great difficulty finding compassion for those who choose to dabble in drugs when they have all the information to hand regarding the dangers of so doing. We are all responsible for our own choices at the end of the day and with responsibility comes consequences.
The Scribbly Bark Poet
see some scribbles here - http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Jan 2019, 17:49

Do I imagine it, or is evolution causing a delay in young people reaching any sensible maturity?
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 04 Jan 2019, 18:01

It's not a simple matter of acting intelligently. When I was 13 I started smoking. I knew it would cost money that I had little of, yet I chose to do it. Why? Because other people did it, especially my mates and the tough guys in movies. It was typical teenage rebelliousness.

Drugs are the same. I wish people wouldn't take them, but they do. The so-called war on drugs hasn't worked. In Portugal, where drug taking was decriminalised in 2001, hardly anyone dies from overdosing now, and drug use has decreased considerably. Drug pushers are still prosecuted, though. The emphasis is on harm minimisation, not punishment. In other words, it's a health issue.

In the Philippines, drug use was low (1.9% of the population in 2008) before Duterte gained power. I don't know what the current level is, but drug use definitely hasn't gone away. Poverty has always been a driver of drug use in poor countries.

Pill testing is an attempt to inform and to prevent unnecessary deaths. How can it not make sense?

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Jan 2019, 19:59

In the field of neuroscience, the human brain is now biologically classified as that of a child until age 25 because the prefrontal cortex isn’t fully developed until then.
Although brain development is subject to significant individual variation, most experts suggest that the brain is fully developed by age 25. For some people, brain development may be complete prior to age 25, while for others it may end after age 25. The mid-20s or “25” is just an average age given as checkpoint for when the brain has likely become mature.

https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02/1 ... developed/
I dream, therefore I am.

Buck_naked
Emerald Member

Post by Buck_naked » 04 Jan 2019, 21:41

Just say no to drugs.
half brain, quarter brain, 1/10 brain can do that
a 5 year old knows the difference between right and wrong
zero sympathy for drug users. :character-oldtimer:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 04 Jan 2019, 22:18

:roflmao:
You're always good for a smile, Buck!
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 04 Jan 2019, 22:32

I wonder if people would be so unsympathetic and bag pill testing if one of their kids or a young member of the family were to die of an accidental overdose? Sure, drugs are illegal and kids should not be taking them, but "stupidity" ought not carry the death penalty. We dont let our toddlers go play in traffic - we watch over them, supervise and educate them. We cant do that with teens and young adults, but surely our responsibilities to our youth dont end when they are old enough to vote.
How many of we oldies can "cast that first stone"?