Philanthropists must make money. Hmm.

Are we being treated like human beings by our Corporate Captains? Have they heard of the word 'compassion' or is greed the guiding light for them?

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Philanthropists must make money. Hmm.

Post by Dreamweaver » 24 Jan 2019, 01:20

https://news.stanford.edu/2018/12/03/th ... ilanthropy
Robert Reich says
In an age of massive and rising inequality, we also see rising levels of philanthropic activity among the very wealthy. The two go hand in hand.

This might seem an uncontroversially good thing, a mechanism for the wealthy to return some of their wealth to society. It can indeed be a good thing, but the starting point of my analysis is that big philanthropy is an exercise in power – the direction of the private assets of wealthy people toward some public influence. In a democratic society, wherever we see the exercise of power in a public setting, the response it deserves is not gratitude but scrutiny.
That seems a lot to do with the US tax system, favouring the rich..

Then from Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5iIac ... DWLk86-KYA
Starting a social impact venture? Will it be for-profit or not-for-profit? The jury is still out on what legal structure works best when establishing a venture of this type and how it might affect future investment.

Joel Cranshaw is founder of Clearpoint Counsel and has consulted with countless startups across the UK and Australia at this critical stage. He truly understands how your choice of legal structure can impact a social startup's growth.

This master class will show you the pros and cons of structuring your business in different ways and how it might affect your vision for growth.
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Philanthropists must make money. Hmm.

Post by Perrorist » 24 Jan 2019, 06:01

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 24 Jan 2019, 12:33

How did Richard Branson become so rich?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 24 Jan 2019, 15:48

I remember trying to read his autobiography but gave up after realising how self-centered he was.